Cichlids for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubba rust

Aquarium Advice Regular
What African cichlids would be good to put in a 55? I am wanting to start keeping them and was wondering what would be good ones to start with.

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you wanna keep malawi africans or are you thinking victorian or lake tang.? If malawi than mbunas cichlids or peacocks and haps? I love peacocks and haps they are less aggressive than mbuna imo. Its your call

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do you wanna keep malawi africans or are you thinking victorian or lake tang.? If malawi than mbunas cichlids or peacocks and haps? I love peacocks and haps they are less aggressive than mbuna imo. Its your call

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Haps tend to get a little larger, so id limit those. I have two large haps in my 55. Peacocks OR Mbuna, just research how aggressive they are. You can mix Mbuna and peacocks but only certain Mbuna work, others are way too mean.

My 55 gallon: (OVERstocked)
2 haps
6 peacocks
2 Mbuna
2 Tanzanians
1 rainbow shark
1 algae eater.
1 tropheus. (worried he'll be a problem)
1 otopharanx lithobates

The reason so overstocked, and most of them are still under growing, under 4 inches, is to weed out aggression, they don't have room to fight. My ultimate plan is to raise them all up, and keep the ones who are my favorite.
Africans are hard to come by here, so I get them when they are available.

Eventually I'm going to get my stock down to 10-12 fish, but they will all be brilliant.

I should add, I probably shouldn't have put the Tropheus in, but I REALLY wanted one, they are awesome, and I'm hoping that being in the tank as a fry it will denature him so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom