Cichlids for a 10 and 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bm5424

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 10 and 20 gallon that I would like to stock with some kind of cichlids. Ie had kribs before so something else. I was thinking about brichardis, apistogramma cacutoides( don't think spelling is correct but cockatoos) or julies. I saw a cool blue Julie at my Lfs but idk what kind it was.

Yes, same here. Starting a 20 and thinking about convict cichlids and/or African cichlids. I'm super new to it so could use some advise/suggestions as well.

Look into German Blue Rams, they look amazing but need very special care. They would do great in a 20g long if you had a breeding pair.

i wouldnt reccomend africans in a 20 gallon. dwarf species would be perfect, or a shell dweller tank.

What is exactly included in the African Cichlid grouping? Is it a specific species or just all of them from Africa? And what are the more popular species?

The only cichlids that I personally would put in a 10g are shell dwellers. Multis are good for that tank size. I believe brevis would also work (but just to be clear, you need 1 species or the other, not both).
For the 20g, there are rams, apistos (there are a ton of varieties), golden dwarf cichlids, African butterfly cichlids, a keyhole cichlid, and a few others as well.

I would lisson to absolut .in the 20gallon.rams there r so many. Gbrs.bolivan,golden, am a few more.cockatoo's r another there r lots off types off those as well,the other cichlids just get to big for those tanks I have gbrs an cockatoos an they r great.

Ryanlr88 said:
What is exactly included in the African Cichlid grouping? Is it a specific species or just all of them from Africa? And what are the more popular species?

Neally all cichilds get to big an need room to swim that's why if u have a 50 gallon an under u should look at dwalfs cichlids there r heaps an very cool to watch. If u have any questions message me an u will try an help

I bought a 29 gallon a couple of weeks ago and now I'm waiting to see if anyone has any apistogrammas to sell to me. It's hard finding those guys, and the lfs around me don't stock them.

Harryhorse said:
Neally all cichilds get to big an need room to swim that's why if u have a 50 gallon an under u should look at dwalfs cichlids there r heaps an very cool to watch. If u have any questions message me an u will try an help

Thanks, but you did not at all answer my question.

how did they not answer your questions? if you have anything under a 50 gallon you can only put dwarf cichlids in it, simple as that, everything else is just to aggressive and too large.

a.tetreault said:
how did they not answer your questions? if you have anything under a 50 gallon you can only put dwarf cichlids in it, simple as that, everything else is just to aggressive and too large.

Bc I asked to know more about the name African Cichlid and if it was a specific type of species or what. I understand the tank restraints. Gosh everyone on the site just LOVES to say "nope, bigger tank!" Get over it ppl. If someone doesn't ask about tank requirements they don't need it thrown in their face.

Ryanlr88 said:
Bc I asked to know more about the name African Cichlid and if it was a specific type of species or what. I understand the tank restraints. Gosh everyone on the site just LOVES to say "nope, bigger tank!" Get over it ppl. If someone doesn't ask about tank requirements they don't need it thrown in their face.

The name African Cichlid means a cichlid from Africa.There are many different types far too many to mention.Why don't you try googling it and see what you find.

garfy said:
The name African Cichlid means a cichlid from Africa.There are many different types far too many to mention.Why don't you try googling it and see what you find.

Clearly I'm going to have to. Requires so much work tho

Well, for dwarf cichlids, this is a good site to start at: Apistogramma and Dwarf Cichlids in Aquarium

And this has a few species of shell dweller:
Shell Dwellers :: Lake Tanganyika :: Reserve Stock Cichlids

Has pictures and some basic information. When you find something you like, just Google the specific species to see their requirements. I start out with just Googling the basic "dwarf cichlid" or "shell dweller cichlid" and look at pictures. Then figure what species the ones that catch my eye. Then, Google their requirements.

I was thinking about getting 3 jack dempseys and a couple red oscars bc they looked cool. I think my 20 gallon could hold them and a school of zebra danios, right?

No. That won't work. For a 20g, there are lots of dwarf cichlids that would work. Just Google that. JDs and oscars need much larger tanks and zebras need a 20gL, so if you have that, just go for the ZDs.

Back
Top Bottom