Cichlids for a 29gall?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Other than dwarfs (rams, apisto's, shellies) or kribs (already planning on them for another tank...), are their cichlids that can be kept in a 29gall? African? Malawi? Tangs? (whatever species peacocks are in)? I have read in some places a small community is ok, other not so. I know it would require lots of rockwork. I am just seeking to try something new (though I would love to try and keep plants with them as well?) and thought that is might be a good experience. I have a new 20long I am transfering my current fish into and just thought I would throw the idea out there :)

I suspect you could do convicts in a 29, or you could certainly do shellies or julies.

A mated pair of discus or a pair of angels would work in that tank, both of them are cichlids. Shellies would also be good candidates IMO but not in combination with discus nor angels.

Neolamprologus multifasciatus (Multis or Shellies) are really cool little fish. They will live in shells. They don't get much over an inch and breed readily. It's pretty cool how they set up little colonies. Kind of like underwater "Meerkat Manor."

neolamprologus_multifasciatus.jpg

I am sooo confused! I love shellies, but they are hard to find here :( and I am wondering, can I still have plants and stuff with shellies? It would drive me nuts to have a bare tank with only sand and shells on the bottom, with no height to it...
I really like the julies, but could I have only a pair? I want to make this tank to be my showtank, so I would want to have a few different species? If its not possible please let me know and I will try for something else. Its just we have real hard water here so I figured that now would be a nice time to try the cichlids!
Thanks to all those that replied. Helps a ton :)

I've got a shellie tank with driftwood, plants, and rocks to add in height to the back. Check out some of the tanks at shelldwellers.com; you're not limited at all with decor.

Back
Top Bottom