Cichlids have some type of fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

240gal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I bought some s. american cichlids different types @ walmart and low and behold today I find the blue acara with withe crap all over him I took him out and treated the hospital tank with stuff but my tank has no top the homeowners before us set this system up and its going any where maybe I can get some tops made the tanks are 240 gal each most of which is in my utlity room its a wall build in with canisters but I thought everything was coming along there is a fiddlers crab somewhere in the tank can I treat the whole tank?:confused:

Does he run dart accross the aquarium somewhat erratically? Does the white stuff look like cotton-like tufts? Where is the white stuff, over the mouth, eyes..skin? If it is, then it is fungal infection.

Another very common cichlid disease is Ich or Ichtyophthirius. They start with this white salt-like marks that appear on the head first, and then spread over the whole body. Normally the breathing is quick, the fish scratches a lot, and the eyes and fins, both, become cloudy.

If it is, then I suggest to turning the water temperature up to 85-88. The cichlids dislike warm water. Add air stones for added aeration. Along with the temperature change and added aeration, I usually add about one teaspoon of canning and pickling salt per gallon of the water to help the fish recover from the stress caused by the disease by reducing osmotic pressure, enabling the fish's own immune system to fight back. Salt is also harmful to ich.

You can read this article about Ich.

Ich: An Old Cure for an Old Disease

or go to this site to research on other fish diseases, it should give you a description of them as well.

http://www.aquariumfishexperts.com/?s=fish+disease

I hope I helped!

if you got them from walmart, there is no telling what you could have gotten with them... always qt your fish first, wherever you get them, to prevent spreading diseases to your main tank. if you could get a picture of them... if its fungus, the jungle fungus tabs work wonders...

Thanks I'll try the salt & water change and Ill get some fungus stuff they're fast so I can't get a good pic but Ill try.

i can feel your pain on the pictures, every one i take looks like theyre zooming through the water at 2340972345mph... are they doing any better? a good thing that is always recommended for any type of sickness it waterchanges, and lots of them... what size qt do you have them in right now? 50% daily water changes will really help relieve some of the fungus, or course if you treat with meds, most will recommend daily water changes anyways, and make sure you dont have any carbon in your filters until youre done treating

Back
Top Bottom