Cichlids in a 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maridia

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wanted to know what kind and how many cichlids can go in my 29 gal. I understand that some get huge, so I would probably have to go with the dwarf cichlids like convicts. Or some might recommend me not getting any at all. Any info and opinions would be great. Thank you.

I have a 29g and feel that you will be limited on how many you can put in. Even dwarf cichlids will be become territorial. Even though their bioload wont be huge they still need space.

Maybe 2x apisto borelli
2x apisto agassizii
And some sort of schooling community fish

Sounds pretty limited, but not too bad if you have 5 fish total. I have a really nice setup right now. So I'll consider these options in the future. Thanks

How many depends on the species and your filter. I personally had a 29g tank, but I've just upgraded to a 55g. For a 29g, you'll be better off with a dwarf mbuna species. If you get them as juveniles, then they won't be as territorial and will establish their spot early on. I had 6x Pseudotropheus Saulosi and they were fine, I probably could've went with 9, but I was fine with 6 at the time. I wouldn't get more than 12 dwarf mbunas, even if your filtration is top notch, the fish needs swim space.

Back
Top Bottom