Cichlids in a 37 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK so it has been recomended that I get a bigger tank for my goldfish. They are currently housed in a 37 gallon(being replaced by like 60-65). So after that I'll have an empty 37 and I wanna get cichlids for it. My favorites are parrots, convicts, and oscars. I know an oscar won't work. Any suggestions/ideas on keeping convicts with parrots? Are they compatible? Any suggestions of other tankmates, such as lobsters/bottom feeders? Should I add aquarium salt?

Tips on how to keep cichlids would be awesome. I am afraid to use the like random internet sites cause I have been steering wrong.

Thanks

bettaowner said:
I'd go with dwarf cichlids like rams, apistos, shell dwellers, or kribs

I'll second that. Many of the cichlids you've named get very large and will outgrow your 37 in no time. While dwarf cichlids will live there permanently.

You could do smaller rift lake Africans. Maybe even smaller Mbuna. The thing with cichlids especially Africans is that you have to keep a lot of them to spread out aggression. Also provide a lot of hiding places and use a massive filtration setup due to having to overstock.

You have to use buffer to harden your water for Africans. South Americans require a lower ph and a more acidic water.

Which continent do you prefer?

What's the tank deminsions? Is this a bow front or a regular tank?

If it's 30" long then check this list out of options to see what you like. There are other options then just these but it covers a little bit of everything.

OK so it has been recomended that I get a bigger tank for my goldfish. They are currently housed in a 37 gallon(being replaced by like 60-65). So after that I'll have an empty 37 and I wanna get cichlids for it. My favorites are parrots, convicts, and oscars. I know an oscar won't work. Any suggestions/ideas on keeping convicts with parrots? Are they compatible? Any suggestions of other tankmates, such as lobsters/bottom feeders? Should I add aquarium salt?

Tips on how to keep cichlids would be awesome. I am afraid to use the like random internet sites cause I have been steering wrong.

Thanks

If you want advice from someone in a similar situation a few years ago, here it is:

1. Oscar is too big and I probably wouldn't recommend them anyway

2. Just pretend Blood Parrots don't exist. They are borderline unethical to own and you'll be downcast in society and the forums if you partake in that ugly forbidden fruit.

3. Convicts are nice fish, but understand they are arguably the most plain species in their genera. Look online for Amatitlania and Cryptoheros species that are much prettier and often less aggressive. Honduran Red Points, Cutteri, Sajica to name a few.

4. Don't fall into the LFS trap. The sooner you stop looking at LFS and start buying online, the better off you will be.

5. Don't add anything to your tank that is not serving an immediate and measurable purpose (if possible). This includes aquarium salt, pH changing agents.

If you want advice from someone in a similar situation a few years ago, here it is:

1. Oscar is too big and I probably wouldn't recommend them anyway

2. Just pretend Blood Parrots don't exist. They are borderline unethical to own and you'll be downcast in society and the forums if you partake in that ugly forbidden fruit.

3. Convicts are nice fish, but understand they are arguably the most plain species in their genera. Look online for Amatitlania and Cryptoheros species that are much prettier and often less aggressive. Honduran Red Points, Cutteri, Sajica to name a few.

4. Don't fall into the LFS trap. The sooner you stop looking at LFS and start buying online, the better off you will be.

5. Don't add anything to your tank that is not serving an immediate and measuable purpose (if possible). This includes aquarium salt, pH changing agents.

Best advice I've seen in awhile!

In response to 5x5, I actually like my Convicts quite a lot. :)
No one said anything about hating convicts, just that there are many better looking species in that genus and related genera.

A tank like that actually has several options, it just depends on what you want. Community tank? Aggressive species? Breeding setup? Show tank? Planted? Low maintenance?

In response to 5x5, I actually like my Convicts quite a lot. :)

I own convicts myself. They are about a general as you can get in the cichlid world.

you can certainly argue that convicts are the best looking fish in their genus... if you intend on losing the argument.

I own convicts myself. They are about a general as you can get in the cichlid world.

you can certainly argue that convicts are the best looking fish in their genus... if you intend on losing the argument.
Never said best looking, as I prefer my other cichilids to them. And they are generic, but they are nice fish to have.

Why is it unethical to have parrots?

I'd probably be interested in aggressive and low maintenance stock.

What fish can go with convicts?

Parrots are a cross breed of cichilids. Most people don't condone purchasing cross breeds. Theres not a lot else you could put in a 37, unless you did two females. If you did male and female, they'll mate, the males get too big to have anything else. If you did females, maybe a decent size schooling fish,

Why is it unethical to have parrots?

I'd probably be interested in aggressive and low maintenance stock.

What fish can go with convicts?

Blood Parrots are an established, commercialized hybrid created solely for financial gain. As a result of the hybridization, the fish vary from deformed to severly deformed and often get picked on by other aggressive fish.

Purchasing hybrids perpetuates the production of these fish and adds you to the demand part of the supply & demand equation.

Blood Parrots are an established, commercialized hybrid created solely for financial gain. As a result of the hybridization, the fish vary from deformed to severly deformed and often get picked on by other aggressive fish.

Purchasing hybrids perpetuates the production of these fish and adds you to the demand part of the supply & demand equation.

Well said my friend!

Well that blows. I love parrot cichlids. =(

The ones I have seen in stores all look rather healthy. Can't say I have seen a deformed one. Is there a fish that looks like them? lol?

CalebZachary - are you referring to a pair of convicts? What kinds of schooling fish? Like Tiger Barbs? If so how many?

edit - i dislike the pair of fish that make a parrot.

edit:can bolivian rams go with convicts?

Well that blows. I love parrot cichlids. =(

The ones I have seen in stores all look rather healthy. Can't say I have seen a deformed one. Is there a fish that looks like them? lol?

That whole "head looks like it was caught in a door" thing they got us a deformity and to my understanding the cant close their mouths fully to be able defend themselves from other fish.

Back
Top Bottom