Cichlids or Angels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apollo6626

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone, i have some angel fish that are pretty big now, but they have some disease that i cannot identify, but i have a question...Which is easier to take care of and more enjoyable, angelfish with community fish, or all cichlids? (i know angelfish are cichlids)

I've got my angelfish in my community tank. I really don't see them going into an all cichlid tank unless they aren't very aggressive cichlids

I'm just saying in general, which is easier and more enjoyable, angelfish an a community tank or an all African cichlids tankc

apollo6626 said:
I'm just saying in general, which is easier and more enjoyable, angelfish an a community tank or an all African cichlids tankc

There's really no right answer here. Most enjoyable would be the fish that you would like to have. And easier would all depend on your stocking which in change would affect your water changes. You could have one cichlid in a 125g tank and only have to do water changes every few months or so. Where as if you have a 75g with 30 different cichlids, your gonna be doing water changes left and right. My advice to you would be to consider what fish YOU want to keep and go from there. Can you post some pics of what's wrong with your angelfish? Also what is your current setup (tank size, stock, filtration, ect, ect)?

I don't know what they have, thu had fin rot and I treated for it. It is done now but on two of the yellow angels are multiple white dots on the middle of the tails and on the other two white along the edge of the fins. I assume that is new growth though. I have a 55 gal with two emperor 400 filters and an under gravel. I have two java ferns and 2 Cory cats, 4 angelfish. I am afraid that the Angels will die, but I am trying to save them. At the moment they are eating and swimming fine, just look bad. I am doing 25 to 30% water changes daily for the last two days, and will continue the test of the week.

Sounds like ur on the right path with water changes daily. It kinda sounds like you have ich on the 2 angels with white spots. If that is the case I would up your heat to 86 degrees slowly over a couple days and increase aireation because hotter water has less dissolved oxygen. May I ask how your using your undergravel filter? Do you have powerheads attached to it or using air? A lot of people will tell you that ugf's (undergravel filter) are a thing of the past, and with 2 emporer 400's on your 55 there is really no need for the ugf

I don't think it is ich, to make a long story short I got ich a week before the fin rot and I treated that for a week. My heat has been 84 for the last week. So I am right there. A for the UGF, it is air powered, the only reason I put it in is for the hell of it, no use really, I just had it and I put it in. I've kind of had it with how many diseases my angels have had, so this week Im purchasing a UV sterilizer, 9watt 211 gph

How long have you had your angels? Could just be weak stock! Also, what are your water parameters? Ammo, nitrite, nitrate?

All four of mine come from a local lfs and I've never had any problems with them.

Yeah I should have went with a local breeder, but I didn't have access to one at the time I bought them, 4 months ago

Back
Top Bottom