Cichlids Rapid Breathing After Water Change.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VaranusPanoptes

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I change my water once a week and every time my cichlids end up on the bottom of the tank breathing rapidly. I add dechlorinator and try to match the water temperature with my python the best I can. I've even left the sponge filters on while I drain the tank in an attempt to oxygenate the water. Anyone else have this happen?

You're either scaring the **** out of them or your water parameters are swinging drastically. Do you check ph of your tap? After 24-48 hrs? It can change.

It could be that it's too great a change for them. How much water are you taking out each time? If you change too much you'll have to re-acclimate them every time.

50% water change, I'm new to this and I have been told 50% is the amount I should change out.

I normally change 15 to 25% every three to five days. The only time I did a bigger one was when I had a mold problem and I almost lost my fish. Maybe try a smaller amount of water more frequently. At least that's what works for me.

50% is fine/standard practice. I do 90% wcs with no issue. It's going to be a temp match or parameter match issue. Or you're coming in like shrek and scaring the doods out of them.

I do have problems matching the water temperature with my python as I fill it back up. I fiddle with the faucet and a digital thermometer but I cannot seem to equally match the temperature to that of my tank's. Any suggestions? It must be the temperature..

Suggestions?? Umm match the temperature better!!! Haha. Kidding.. but seriously.. I have sensitive fish, no room for error with this stuff. I set up a couple 55 gal brute barrels. They run all the time bit you could use yours as needed. Get an air stone and a heater. Just fill it a day or two before you water change. Youd need a pump too. Could be more than you're willing to invest. You could also get an inline digital thermometer, they're meant for shower heads. @coralbandit uses them I believe. That may be the best option.

Back
Top Bottom