Cichlids vs. Planted Tanks - FIGHT!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goalorientation

Aquarium Advice Activist
To say cichlids and planted tanks in the same sentence together is like an oxymoron. Yet I try anyway. Today I woke up to find a food and a half bamboo uprooted from the gravel... how can this be? My jewel convict and clown loaches are all 1" long, BP is 3", and dojo loaches are 4". This is was my first tank at 29g and am treating the parrot for body damage. Light stays off for the most part other than feeding since the filter is down till treatment is over. Bamboo accounts for the main population of live plants in this tank. I figured they were the most hearty, but still I'm finding the entire root ripped from plants! I've introduced another fake plant they seem not to get touched for the most part. Woo there's a splash I should check up on the demons.

Yep, planted tanks and cichlids don't seem to mix too well. My guess for who uprooted your bamboo? The dojos. I've not kept them in years but I seem to recall they like burrowing/rooting through the substrate.

Yeah dude they turned my entire tank upside down! Well at least I won't have to worry about any CO2 bombs.

I have a severum that will uproot everything but leaves java fern alone. So I have tons of java fern in my tank and nothing else.

Can you post a pic of your java jern cuz im fighting an uphill battle. I put a suction c on the front of my aquarium with bamboo in it in an effort to conserve plants, it's growing outt he top of the tank.

Yeah. I plan on doing a water change tomorrow so I'll try to get a pick tomorrow night when the tank and glass are all clean.

That is an interesting statement. I have a total of 11 cichlids in my tank (Angels, GBR's and Bolivian Rams). None have done any damage to my plants (other than the angels seeming to really enjoy cabomba and christmas moss).

My Sailfin pleco is another story...due to his size (8"), I usually have an assortment of "free-floating" plants every day. :(

Back
Top Bottom