Ciclids and Danios and Tetras and Hatchetfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danio35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been thinking about how I want to stock my 55-gal once it is cycled. From what I've read, Ciclids will do well in my water parameters: ph = 8.4 very hard very alkaline water.

Problem is, I was planing to put my Red-Eyed Tetras, Hatchetfish and Danios in their as well.

I think this is a dangerous combination, but I haven't read up much on Ciclids yet. I'm not sure I want to spend the time and energy researching if it is not a good idea.

I was just wondering if someone could give me some general advice.

Michelle

Many smaller south american cichlids like Keyholes, Rams, Agassiz's and Cockatoos like softer slightly acidic water and are a good combination with schoaling tetras. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few, but it's definitely worth the research! Good luck with it!

Danio35 said:
Problem is, I was planing to put my Red-Eyed Tetras, Hatchetfish and Danios in their as well.

UUrrrrgggghhhh! I hate it when I do that! It should be 'Danios in there as well'. Not their.

they should be fine, cichlids like the bottom, those fish like the top, i have big ole black skirt tetras in there with mine, and giant danios, but they might just leave em alone because i have lots of medium - big fish, the cichlids are pretty much the smallest fish, id go with yellow labs, peackocks and zebras... ive heard bad things about mature aratus, so stay away from them, firemouths are also really pretty, and very well behaved

Danio35 said:
I've been thinking about how I want to stock my 55-gal once it is cycled. From what I've read, Ciclids will do well in my water parameters: ph = 8.4 very hard very alkaline water.

I think this is a dangerous combination, but I haven't read up much on Ciclids yet. I'm not sure I want to spend the time and energy researching if it is not a good idea.

I was just wondering if someone could give me some general advice.

Michelle

In the end...it really matters what kind of cichlids...Just because they MAY occupy diffrent swimming space does not mean they will get a long. Some chichlids are very agressive and will kill and eat tetras. I'm not postive how big red-eys are as I have never seen or had any.

If you could post what type of cichlids you are considering it would be very helpfull.

Good luck with the new 55gallon!

When I was young and didn't know any better, I mixed africans with tropicals. Just bought fish that were pretty. It wasn't long before all I had left were cichlids. Thats when I started doing checking into what type of fish belong together, and what type of water conditions they require.
Ciclids will do well in my water parameters: ph = 8.4 very hard very alkaline water.
Africans cichlids would love those conditions but what about the danios and hacthetfish. Do they like are require those parameters.
Good Luck I hope it work out well. :) :D

PK Tester said:
Danio35 said:
If you could post what type of cichlids you are considering it would be very helpfull.

Good luck with the new 55gallon!

I haven't decided about what type of cichlids. I haven't done any research about them yet. That's what I will probably focus on this week.

Thanks for the support!

Michelle

What i would do which is only a personal opinion is make it a mbuna cichlid tank.

You can have some

Afra Edwardis, Electric Yellows, Blue Caeruelus, Rusty Cichlids, and some Cobalt Zebars and the such.

If you want to buy some rock they will all get along decently well in a 55.

Those cichlids are just my Personal favorites-You can find ones yourself-

http://www.cichlid-forum.com

Go to Profiles and Put In Lake Malawi Mbuna and start looking!

Best of luck with the new tank and I'm jealous i wish i had the money to buy a 55gal.

Keep in mind that is just my personal opinion about what i would do with the tank.

FishLover14 said:
What i would do which is only a personal opinion is make it a mbuna cichlid tank.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com

Go to Profiles and Put In Lake Malawi Mbuna and start looking!

Best of luck with the new tank and I'm jealous i wish i had the money to buy a 55gal.

Keep in mind that is just my personal opinion about what i would do with the tank.

Great website FishLover14!! Thanks for the heads up. I've gone in 2 different aquarium stores today and just think the Cichlids are stupendous!!!

Now, is it true that cichlids can disrupt plants, or is that mainly the type of Cichlid? I read that there are those that spawn in the gravel, do mouthbrooders do that as well?

FishLover14: just an idea on getting a really cheap big tank: There are SO MANY people out there that think they want a tank, spend hundreds of dollars, do no research and fail. I've seen so many partially used tanks in people's garages or basements. Just get the word around that you want to buy a used tank. There are many people who just want to get rid of them. Also, look on ebay and trader.com. I've bored people to death about my fish stories at work. I've let all my family and everyone I work with that I want another tank. So far, I've had one person tell me I can have her 10-gallon with all the accessories. She's yet to actually get it to me, but I don't nag. Just drop super subtle hints. Good luck at getting a bigger tank!! I'm sure you'll get there!

Michelle

Check this thread out:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=39189&highlight=

Sold on an African tank yet? :wink:

Most people do not plant african tanks for the reason you mentioned, but africans can definitely co-exist with plants. Many use a lot of rock work and drift wood to create caves and hiding places and let the african do the rest of the decorating.

I concur you water conditions are ripe for an African tank. IMO though africans should be in a species only tank. Tetras and the other fish you described should not be with Africans.

If you do decide to go with South American cichlids you will likely want to adjust your water conditions such as lower PH for most South American species.

I have kept Many different cichlids and africans are one of my favorite. As for color the closet you can get to SW. When I had my 75 set up with africans many visitors ask if it was SW.

Do your homework and good luck with whatever you decide.

xray said:
You can have some

Afra Edwardis, Electric Yellows, Blue Caeruelus, Rusty Cichlids, and some Cobalt Zebars and the such.
Where can I get some Blue Caeruelus, I googled it and found this. http://malawicichlids.com/mw09001j.htm
Wow 8O I want the blue one in the middle. :)

I agree Xray! The middle one is a beaut!!!!

I've done my research and read the posts and decided I better go with a Gourami for now. I really want Cichlids, but will probably save that for my next tank which I plan on beginning to plan in a few months time.

Thanks for all the advice!

I love this site!!

Danio35, you should be able to drop the pH in your tank by adding driftwood. If you can do this you can keep South American dwarf cichlids like Bolivian rams or blue rams, or maybe some types of apistogramma (if you can find them). These fish prefer a planted tank, they do great with tetras, and they could live with a gourami with no problems. They are much less aggressive than Mbuna and well suited to a community tank. :mrgreen:

JMHO

oops big mistake i didnt read page 2 of the thread. sry everyone. So i had to kill what i posted.

Best of luck with the tank Danio35.. and sry about the mistake everyone.

Back
Top Bottom