Clay pots for cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have small ceramic pots from lowes in mine. And I just used really hot water and scrubbed them down and repeated that a few times. Seem just fine.

Okay I was just reading on Setting up a lake Malawi tank and it said when u r putting big rocks in the tanks u should put EEG crates down then set the rocks up in them so they won't fall then cover EEG crates with sand or gravel. EEG crates really that won't mess with the water quality or leave nasty stuff in water?

yeah egg crate is usually put down to distribute the weight over a larger area rather than put pressure points on the glass. It's safe, it's plastic, and it's found in the hardware store in the ceiling section because it's actually a plastic light diffuser that they put into recessed fluorescent ceiling fixtures.

I've never heard of that, cool. Learn something new everyday...

Indeed you do.......

If you want to explore another option, check out Cichlid Stones

These are great fun for many species of fish and I had great luck with my fish spawning in them.

I have just put in the Cichlid stones in my Krib tank. The advantages are that they take up less volume so each tank has more water. The caves are built perfectly so my kribs do not dig under the rocks resulting in some collapsing and potentially hurting the fish.

I wanted to order cichlid stone (couldn't find anyone near me that carried them) but thought pots would be less expensive.

I agree pots are less expensive that's what I'm going for right now. I will upgrade to better stuff once I have money for it. I have to get two tanks this payday, one for my cichlids and one for my eel. So I can't go all out on the rocks and caves but soon enough. :) what suggested size pots would I use for a Hap and lab?

Aspencer said:
Just google it...Foster and Smith or Amazon

Someone else mentioned Foster & Smith to me and I didn't write it down and I couldn't remember it! Thank you!!!

They're cheaper at kensfish.com (see my link in above post). Depending on where you live, shipping is usually overnight at little cost.

I agree pots are less expensive that's what I'm going for right now. I will upgrade to better stuff once I have money for it. I have to get two tanks this payday, one for my cichlids and one for my eel. So I can't go all out on the rocks and caves but soon enough. :) what suggested size pots would I use for a Hap and lab?

Personally, I've used a cheaper option than that even. Go into your local home depot or plant nursery and ask if they have any broken clay pots they plan on throwing out or if they are likely to. The usual answer is yes, and they will typically give you the broken pieces. For caves you don't need a full pot anyway, a fragment works just as well.

Back
Top Bottom