Cloudy eyed Cichlid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montrenaue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
When my mother first fell in love with these two, they were black and a brilliant dark orange/red. She loved them so much, we bought them for her to have in the kitchen. Its been about..2 months now? And the past week, they've become sluggish, pale as ever, and today I saw they had a slight cloudiness to the front of their eyes, and a discolouration towards the back of the eye. They don't eat more then a bite, which is then spit back out, and they just....sit there. We have them in a 10 gallon at the moment (we're working on finding them a much larger one) with a standard filter. Ammonia levels are normal, and their water is treated from tap, the same that I use for my 40gal goldfish tank. I can get a better photo if anyone wants. Help?
ForumRunner_20130413_162156.jpg

You have a pair of Oscars in a 10g, minimum for 2 adult Oscars is around 75g - personally I'd say around 100g with huge water changes taking place weekly. A 10g is no place for even young Oscars. I would also get your water tested again, I find it hard to believe your levels are fine.

I understand tank size is an issue - but I don't have the money right now to get them one. I have their water on a constant water change, to keep the levels normal. I tested it again like you said, and they came out alright.

Cloudy eyes is usually from poor water quality. To maintain the water, you will have to change the water twice per day, at 50% each change(around). You have to immediately upgrade or re-home them. It's quite urgent matter.
I would have to change a bit what borderlesscott said, as I would never put two oscars together in anything less then a 125 gallon(even that is risky). These fish can get extremely territorial and aggressive, and it won't be soon before one kills the other. They also risk to get stunted. What you can do is get a big tub of at least 40 gallons and put them in there doing partial water changes every other day or so, or you can search on craigslist for amazing deals. Try re-homing at least one of the oscars as these fish have more then twice the bio-load of an goldfish.

Cloudy eyes is usually from poor water quality. To maintain the water, you will have to change the water twice per day, at 50% each change(around). You have to immediately upgrade or re-home them. It's quite urgent matter.
I would have to change a bit what borderlesscott said, as I would never put two oscars together in anything less then a 125 gallon(even that is risky). These fish can get extremely territorial and aggressive, and it won't be soon before one kills the other. They also risk to get stunted. What you can do is get a big tub of at least 40 gallons and put them in there doing partial water changes every other day or so, or you can search on craigslist for amazing deals. Try re-homing at least one of the oscars as these fish have more then twice the bio-load of an goldfish.

Sorry man, 100 UK Gallons - about same as 125 US gallons, keep forgetting to use US gallons. Either way If your mum loved the fish so much it would be kinder to rehome them or take them back, they are going to die at some point over the next few weeks or months. To much waste, to much aggression, not enough space - I'd love Oscars but I wouldn't even put one in my 63 US gallons tank.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom