cloudy tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darrin34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last night i did a water change and while i was vacuuming my water the tank went cloudy . now it is staying cloudy and my nitrates and nitrites are very high on the water test the viles were very pink . they told me the number but i forgot right now my tank looks like a cup of milk got pored into it. my tank has been running for almost a year now and i have never ever had a spike of any kind and yes i used a decolor chemical i need some info on what to do ?

You will want to buy a test kit for future reference and to find out your tank's ppms of NH4+, NO2-, and NO3-. What inhabitants do you have in your tank? The best thing to do right now may be a massive PWC. How large is the tank? Please provide more info so that we may further assist you. For now I would change 50% of the water.

Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Were you gravel vacing at the time? I would do a 50% water change and do another one tomorrow.

my tank is a 55 with a cascade 300 and a aqua clear 70 . and i have 12 african cichlids . 1 pleco and 2 baby zebra lobsters i found last night . i was vacuuming my gravel and soon after i did my tank went cloudy today i went to the local fish store and purchased a nitra-zorb rechargeable pillow
my nitrate was 30 and my nitrite was .3 my amonia was perfect and my ph is 7.9 i did a 30% water change and replaced my carbon cartridge on my cascade my aqua clear is only 2 weeks old so the media is ok all i did was take out the sponge and add the nitrate pillow

So you removed the sponge and changed out the carbon? That's removing the beneficial bacteria. You don't need to use anything to lower nitrates, just water changes.

Back
Top Bottom