Cloudy Water Cichlid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My friend has a older tank that is wood framed with a liner and an acrylic bubble front. The tank is about 12-15 years old and it produces a slime that clouds the water. The water quality is fine, however, it shows zero for nitrates, and it has been setup for 8 weeks with 4 large cichlids.

Does anyone have any experience with tanks that had liners?
I believe the liner is old and starting to breakdown causing the cloudiness and slime.

Any help ?

Or do you have a picture of the liner you could show us? Either of yours or on the web?

Need a little more info. How many gallons is the tank? If there is zero nitrAtes, then it is possible this tank is not cycled, and that would certainly account for cloudiness. Also overfeeding can do it. Take measurements of ammonia and nitrites, as these are the things that indicate the tank is not cycled, and are harmful to the fish. Both of those values should be zero, and you will register nitrates in a cycled tank. Sounds like an interesting setup, though, and I would like to see a picture.

Back
Top Bottom