Cockatoo cichlids???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kmny34

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Can I put a cockatoo cichlid in a 30 gallon tank with two guppies?

Depends on the personality of the fish, I have had Apisto's that wouldn't bother any other fish and ones that would harass any fish in its area.

Well here's my plan on stocking!!!

2 fancy male guppies
5 zebra danios
5 Cory's
3 furcata rainbows
3 boesmi rainbows
1 cockatoo cichlid

Does this sound like a well stocked 30 gallon tank? Comparability wise will it work?

Well here's my plan on stocking!!!

2 fancy male guppies
5 zebra danios
5 Cory's
3 furcata rainbows
3 boesmi rainbows
1 cockatoo cichlid

Does this sound like a well stocked 30 gallon tank? Comparability wise will it work?

I meant compatability.

Could I add anything else to my stock?

Hmm you already have rainbows (that's what I usually suggest) you could bump up their schools. Or add another small group of tetras of some sort. I like my red blue tetras

Hmm you already have rainbows (that's what I usually suggest) you could bump up their schools. Or add another small group of tetras of some sort. I like my red blue tetras

Could I put 3 Congo tetras and maybe a swordtail?

IMO those rainbows get to big for a 30 gallon, the male guppies are likely to get shredded, not enough floor space for Cories and Aspisto. I would do a pair of Apistos, a school of some kinda dwarf Danio or barb, plant it heavily and call it a day.

IMO those rainbows get to big for a 30 gallon, the male guppies are likely to get shredded, not enough floor space for Cories and Aspisto. I would do a pair of Apistos, a school of some kinda dwarf Danio or barb, plant it heavily and call it a day.

If I take the apistos out would the guppies be fine?

Disagree, I think all is well including your rainbows. Just watch the apisto and the guppies. If he isn't over Lu agressive in the first day all should be okay. IME dwarf cichlids do better in a more rock based decor setting than plants. Condos IMO are to big to add to the planned stock stick to something smaller

Oh furcata rainbows, I miss read that last night I apologize. The furcatas would work well I would do a larger school of these that would look quite nice. I still think a school of the Boesemani Rainbow would be to much for the 30 gallon, but hey that's just my opinion. I still fear the the apisto could see the large flashy tail of the guppyas a potential threat, just watch for signs of aggression.

Thank you both for all of the great advise!!!! I have been so back and forth on what I want my stock to be its crazy!!!! But I think that this will be my final stock.

6 zebra danios
5 Cory's
6 furcata rainbows
2 boesmi rainbows
1 cockatoo cichlid

I'm probably not going to take the chance with my guppies!! They will mist likely be rehomed before I get the apisto.

I would suggest adding a female apisto or 2. The male will show his colouring like crazy and there is the chance they will breed. You better off with 2 females as he will time there breeding cycle. Also the guppies will be fine in there. My Cacatuoides don't mind them at all. Unless she is guarding eggs.

I would suggest adding a female apisto or 2. The male will show his colouring like crazy and there is the chance they will breed. You better off with 2 females as he will time there breeding cycle. Also the guppies will be fine in there. My Cacatuoides don't mind them at all. Unless she is guarding eggs.

If they breed will that put my other fish in harms way? Also if they breed will my other fish eat there fry? Bc I really don't want any breeding!

Also I'm having a hard time finding apistos! Does petsmart or petco usually care them? And are there different types of apistos that I could get? I've only seen the orangish ones in pics.

Generally the big stores don't carry any apistos, they seem to be quite hard to find if not from online. A lot of lfs will order them for you if you aren't comfortable having them shipped

Back
Top Bottom