Compatability Question!! Need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StarryEyedTiGeR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone, I'm posting on behalf of my sister Kimmy at the moment. She has an established Convict Cichlid tank (they recently bred and the babies are doing wonderful and all have homes once they're old enough). Tonight her husband bought her a new fish tank. The reason he got the new tank for her is because the male convict started to become highly aggressive towards the female to the point that she is extremely stressed and has been injured. Kimmy has already set up the tank (used some substrate and water from the established tank to help things along) and has the heater, plenty of hiding places, live plants,etc in it as well. The plan is to move the female into the bigger tank and separate her from the aggressive male once the water levels are appropriate.

Kimmy would like to know what tank mates are suitable to go with her docile female Convict Cichild once she moves her into the new tank. We've researched Pseudotropheus Zebra fish and were wondering if that would be a good/bad idea??? Any other suggestions??? Here is a picture of the fish that we were wondering about (top) Zebra Cichlid, Maylandia (Pseudotropheus) zebra Profile, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

Thankyou in advance!

you want to stay with south/central american cichlids... africans are much more aggressive than them and will stress them or kill them. They also have different dietary needs. Not a good idea on that one. What size tank are we talking about here. Convicts are some of the more aggressive of the sa/ca cichlids, but if given the right amount of space, can be kept with other fish. I had a jack dempsey and convict breeding pair (fry were pretty cool, though not a good idea really, mine were given to me that way).

you want to stay with south/central american cichlids... africans are much more aggressive than them and will stress them or kill them. They also have different dietary needs. Not a good idea on that one. What size tank are we talking about here. Convicts are some of the more aggressive of the sa/ca cichlids, but if given the right amount of space, can be kept with other fish. I had a jack dempsey and convict breeding pair (fry were pretty cool, though not a good idea really, mine were given to me that way).

Thankyou for your help; we'll definitely nix that idea! I believe the new tank is a 55 gallon;I'll double check though. It is densly planted with live plants and has a huge "bridge" for hiding spots. She is also floating plants in there as well for even more hiding places. (So, lots of good hiding places for territories to be established.)

If she were to get a Jack Dempsey, would she need to get a male or a female? Her female Convict Cichlid is very docile, so we don't want her to get hurt. Any other sugestions as far as potential tank mates go??

Im not 100% sure on some of them, im an african cichlid guy myself. Im thinking that firemouths are a pretty laid back fish, but not sure if the convict would get along with it. Maybe somebody else that's more familiar with the sa/ca cichlids could give some better advice

i had a 120 gal with 10 convicts, they had babies till there was 50 in there then i took them to the lfs. what is the size of her 1st tank, not the 55.

i had a 120 gal with 10 convicts, they had babies till there was 50 in there then i took them to the lfs. what is the size of her 1st tank, not the 55.

The original tank is a 29 gallon. The 2 convicts were an unexpected surprise so she had no choice but to put them in there for a while. After we move the female into the bigger new tank, the male will remain in the 29 since he is too aggressive to be put with anything else.

Any ideas what we could put in the new 55 gal. tank with the female Convict Cichlid? She is VERY docile. We've been looking around online tonight and researched a few ideas: Hondurian Red Point Cichlids, African Spotted Leaf Fish, Firemouth Cichlids, Jack Dempseys, and Blood Parrot fish. Any recommendations on those or other fish? Also, would it be better to put a male or female in with the female Convict Cichlid in the new tank?

yeah, im not too sure. im an african guy myself. i was given the convicts. but when i did get rid of them i did regret it. they were mostly peaceful and breeded ALOT. and pretty easy to take care of.

After Kimmy checked all of her water levels, she wound up getting a few more fish after consulting some other LFS owners near us. 1 Green Terror, 1 firemouth cichlid, 1 blood parrot, and her original convict cichlid. Everyone's getting along very well!

Back
Top Bottom