compatability questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerj

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi all! im looking into getting a 90 gallon for my oscar. would he be compatable with a silver arowana?

I wouldn't try it. I Googled the silver arowana and it looks like it would get pretty huge - about 30 inches. A 90 gallon is only 18 inches wide and wouldn't even give the arowana ample room to turn around.

i do know how large they get, ive owned em before! ^_^ im just curious as to whether or not they would get along. i know the oscar did not get along with my cichlids at all, but my previous experience with the arowana was that they got along really well with blood parrots.

I have seen them in LARGE systems together, I am talking three hundred gallons on the small side and as much as ten THOUSAND gallon tanks at public aquariums with amazon biotopes. They have tons of hiding spots, and they are well equipped to handle these fish. I know for a fact that arowanas can attain four and five foot lengths. Anything less is stunted growth. Go ahead and do it, I know many people with arowanas living miserable lives in 55 gallons (55, 90, 125 gallons are probably all the same to an arowana, or a tarpon, or an oar-fish for that matter) so I am not preaching here or trying to deter you, but maybe someone out there will learn something by reading this later on.

Still a bit small for a fish that can grow to 4 foot.

To my thinking it's not the galloons of a tank for a fish like that it's the dimensions.
They spend nearly all their time at the top of the tank so what you have to think about it Lenght and depth.

There should be about 3-4 times the lenght of the fish in lenght of the tank and the same goes for depth.

I've never agreed with people keeping fish that big as most people end up killing the fish or stunting the growth of the fish and fooling themselves into thinking they're happy.

Even if it only gets to 3 foot a 125G would be waay too small.

And trust me i have a 4'x2'x2' tank that's 120G and would love one, but not if it means stunting one of these beautiful wish.

Back
Top Bottom