Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UniqueFreak

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a lone Asian upside down catfish, looking for suitable tank mates and I'm considering cichlids.
Would this work?

I got one of these recently, having not seen them before. Hes in with cichlids but has received a bit of a beating but its nothing new to see a catfish introduced to a cichlid tank and initially get some trouble. It stops after a few days, and i think mines definately tough enough to ride it out.
Long term though these guys get to 12" and can be quite territorial so ive read. They will also eat smaller tankmates once larger. Long term mine will go in my 130gallon, but is currently in a 48G.

Because your catfish is there before the cichlids hes less likely to get a beating in actual fact.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They grow fast FYI and are known to be pretty aggressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Had mine just over 2 yrs and its only 4 inches so far, was expecting faster growth actually. Maybe I shouldn't keep other fish with him?

The ones I had went from 2" to nearly 4" in a few months, if that. Are you referring to mystus leucophasis? Of synodontis nigraventris?

Tank size? Stock list? Decor? Filtration? Water parameters? Preferences?

Probably a good idea. I got rid of mine because I had some expensive fish in with him and I've had the bad experience of catfish swallowing everything before so decided it wasn't worth the risk.

Now gonna try and make the tank more suitable for him, saw one for sale last week for £15, tho of course they labelled it a 'large syno'!!

....that's not mystus leucophasis...that's synodontis eupterus

I see spotting on the tail, can you get better pic? Either way that's not a mystus leucophasis

I'm sticking with eupturus. The spotting and hi-ray on the dorsal are major indicators of the species

Back
Top Bottom