Compatibility issues, don't know what to do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phillyfan33

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone.

I have a dilemma I could really use some help with. I currently have a 38 gallon tank with a big center piece rock providing holes and such for my fish. I have three cichlids,(1 melanochromis, 2 metriaclima estherae), two clown loaches, and a rainbow shark. The cichlids were all fine for two weeks until the melanochromis started bullying everyone. I am peeved because I asked my LFS if he were to become a problem and he said no. Lied I suppose. So I will be ridding him from the tank tomorrow. Funny thing is, the store wont take him back! Luckily another LFS will. I would love to replace him with another cichlid or so since I will get in store credit, not cash, but do not know what to get.

I don't even need another cichlid but would like a yellow one if possible.

Just wondering what a nice addition to the tank would be, but especially what kind of cichlid. Can't trust another LFS I will be going to well enough so I want to have my own knowledge and advice from you all, not a store employee that doesn't know correct answers...

Thank you all!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm very new but seems like yellow labs are much more docile and would fit the yellow but they are likely to cross breed with the m estherae from what I have read.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yellow labs are good, but also, a key to keeping mbuna is overstocking the tank. With only 3 africans in there, the biggest and baddest one can easily find its targets and be super aggressive to those certain fish, whereas with an overstocked tank, aggression is spread out more. I would say to replace the cichlid you're getting rid of, but get a few more too to help spread aggression.

Maybe a yellow lab and some other cichlids? What are some you suggest to add into the tank along with the yellow lab?

For sure other malawi cichlids, and stick with mbuna, they are the only ones that will do well in that size tank with those fish. Im not completely brushed up on my mbuna knowledge, but some red or blue zebras could be good, maybe some demasoni too.

Alright cool. I have the red and blue zebras ones already I really like them. Not to be picky I just want each cichlid to be different color. So yellow lab will be one for sure and will ask the LFS what two other good mbunas would be. Thank you guys

Having different colors is a great idea, especially if the fish don't like their own. That way they can recognize that fish is a different species.
In my African tank I have pretty much every color. (Green was hard to find - lethrinops intermedius)

Back
Top Bottom