compatibility question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrazil230

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55gal mbuna tank with 12 of so mixed cichlids and a buddy is looking to re-home his convict, would he be okay in my tank

Convicts are American cichlids and live in different water conditions than African cichlids like your mbuna. I would not mix them and I think most would tell you not to, but some people have been able to pull it off. African cichlids tend to require higher pH and can tolerate more salt, where Americans live in neutral pH with little salt.

I am against it. Convicts seem kind of shy. When I started I figured the petsmart space case would tell me no if I bought the wrong fish... But he didn't and I came on here and proudly announced what I bought... Arautus, Oscar, convict, kenyi, etc. the convicts stayed in a corner and would not hardly go near the food. After the advice on here I took them back and told the manager he needed to retrain his guys... But I was at fault to for not learning myself. No to the Oscar. Take it from him and take it to your lfs and get credit for it.

Back
Top Bottom