Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Compatibility question, please help, Thank you!

Since my tank finished cycling, I bought 3 "ruby crysta" "blooddragon" "whatever you want to call it" hybrids. They were cheap and i figure it would be a good way to test my water to see if they would do well in the new cycled tank while monitoring my water. If they died, then no big deal as I didn't drop serious $ on some real beautiful cichilds.

Now these 3 little weirdos have really grown on me, each has their on personality and I love it when the most dominant one greets me everyday when i walk to the tank.

I would like some help on compatibility with these 3 guys. My original plan is a all male peacock/hap tank and I still like pursue that.
They are fairly peaceful, the dominant male will chase the other two around for a very short time and then go back to swimming and hanging out with them.

What is the best peacocks/haps I can get that will get along with these 3 stooges?

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What tank size do you have? Almost all other Aulonocara will do fine with the ruby crystals, and there are many kinds of small haps from the Utaka group who will do fine with them too, but you do need a big enough tank to house haps as they need lots of swimming room and some get really big.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarine View Post
What tank size do you have? Almost all other Aulonocara will do fine with the ruby crystals, and there are many kinds of small haps from the Utaka group who will do fine with them too, but you do need a big enough tank to house haps as they need lots of swimming room and some get really big.
I have a 55G that is long length wize, yes size is a concern, I wouldnt want any of them to grow tooo big.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

K so i believe all Aulonocara (aka peacocks) will work with yours. Now there are quite a few haps too. Copadichromis trewavasae is a smaller hap, and quite peaceful, so that's one i'd definitely recommend. Fish from the genus Otopharynx are a good choice too, such as otopharynx lithobates. Fish like the Lethrinops Red Cap aren't a bad idea either. All these stay relatively small and pretty peaceful. These are a few examples, and there are more out there. I'd say check out some profiles of haps on cichlidforum.com and see which ones are classified between 'peaceful' and 'Moderately Aggressive' and those that say the maximum size are around 5".
Old 11-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Dragons bloods well get along fine, mine actually bosses my mbuna and other peacocks around. A 55 is a little on the small side for peacock tank so watch your stocking closely. 10-12 would be full stocking IMO
Old 11-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yup i agree. You really dont need to overstock peacock and hap tanks imo either.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Same here. My dragon blood is the king of the tank even bullies my Blue Alhi whos about 4 inches in length. Hes pretty and knows it.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks everyone for the tips

Im looking to stock 10, just picked up a regal, bi-color and OB. They all seem to be getting along fine
Old 11-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good, glad its workin out so far! One thing you need to do.......post pics!!
Old 11-07-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Good, glad its workin out so far! One thing you need to do.......post pics!!
Here are some i took with my phone.

pic 1 is of a OB and Regal Juvi, both are about a little over 1.5in, but under 2' long

pic 2 is the Boss of the tank, he just likes to follow me and stare, hes the only one that chases and he ONLY chases the other Ruby Crystal, anyone know why? He usually only chases during/after feeding time, otherwise pretty laid back.

pic 3 is the other ruby crystal. Not sure if male or female as it gets chased by the boss and starting to develop some good color.

pic 4 The little guy in the back is a Bi Color, really small, only 1inch long and is the runt of the crew, no one really bothers him/her. Top dorsal is developing a white stripe, hoping its a male.

Most of them love hanging out on the left side of the tank, is it because thats where my heater is? its set on 80...most of them except the boss just hang out around there picking up substrate and dropping it around...not sure what they trying to make but its fun watching them move the sand around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(22).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	206517   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(23).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	206518  

Name:	photo(24).JPG
Views:	55
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	206519   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(25).JPG
Views:	48
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	206520  

Old 11-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Beautiful looking tank! I would say that the ruby crystal is probably chasing only after the other because he is trying to mate, or because maybe they look most alike. It could be that they are hanging by the heater, i'd suggest moving it to the middle of the tank, or near a filter so the heat is spread around. And many peacocks if not all are sand sifters, they pic up the sand, move it, spit it out because they are looking for food, or they dig mating spots. My Aulonocara Usisyas have dug 2 piles in my tank, each in a corner and about 6 inches high so they clear space for mating.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Beautiful looking tank! I would say that the ruby crystal is probably chasing only after the other because he is trying to mate, or because maybe they look most alike. It could be that they are hanging by the heater, i'd suggest moving it to the middle of the tank, or near a filter so the heat is spread around. And many peacocks if not all are sand sifters, they pic up the sand, move it, spit it out because they are looking for food, or they dig mating spots. My Aulonocara Usisyas have dug 2 piles in my tank, each in a corner and about 6 inches high so they clear space for mating.
Thank you!

ill try moving the heater. Its so fun watch these guys move the substrate around. I need to find some more rocks to make cave and hiding places for them in the rear of the tank, right now theres 4 areas and i got 6 cichlids. Ill find two of the rubys huddled together in a nook and its pretty awesome to see them being roommates lol
Old 11-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Just picked up a jack lemon and sunshine peacock, both males!
I just found a LFS near me that specializes in cichlids and have a huge selection of peacocks from small to large. Super clean water and very knowledgeable staff, couldn't resist picking up these two beauties.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo(26).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	206619   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(27).jpg
Views:	30
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	206620  

Old 11-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsun View Post
Just picked up a jack lemon and sunshine peacock, both males! I just found a LFS near me that specializes in cichlids and have a huge selection of peacocks from small to large. Super clean water and very knowledgeable staff, couldn't resist picking up these two beauties.
Ahh lucky you, i've been try to get a male Lemon Jake for a month or two now, but my LFS can't seem to get it in! Sunshines are a very cool fish too! So whats the total stock list?
Old 11-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Ahh lucky you, i've been try to get a male Lemon Jake for a month or two now, but my LFS can't seem to get it in! Sunshines are a very cool fish too! So whats the total stock list?
1 lemon jake M
1 Sunshine M
3 Ruby Crystal 2M 1???
1 OB ???
1 Bicolor ???
1 Regal ???

I think the OB and Regal are males
the Bicolor is only 1 inch and way to small to even tell, but it has a white strip on the dorsal fin
Old 11-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsun View Post
1 lemon jake M 1 Sunshine M 3 Ruby Crystal 2M 1??? 1 OB ??? 1 Bicolor ??? 1 Regal ??? I think the OB and Regal are males the Bicolor is only 1 inch and way to small to even tell, but it has a white strip on the dorsal fin
Gotcha, sounds like a pretty good mix! You should try something like Aulonocara Lwanda to get some nice orange in there!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Gotcha, sounds like a pretty good mix! You should try something like Aulonocara Lwanda to get some nice orange in there!
He's got three dragons blood that's orange!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
He's got three dragons blood that's orange!
Lol thats true, except i think they are a kinda pinkish orange, the lwanda has a cool rusty color!
Old 11-07-2013, 10:40 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Pink? Calling my dragon blood girly?!?!

Name:	image-282196129.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	206648
Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCommunityCichlid View Post
Pink? Calling my dragon blood girly?!?!
Lol well yours are definitely orange! But my red empress could beat that thing up any day :p Just kidding! And i guess zooming in on his pics they are pretty orange too! But if you want more orange, you can get a lwanda lol!

Tags
compatibility, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com