Complete overhaul 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roundtree

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have rehomed my Jack Dempsey and my Tiger Oscar. I am now researching Malawi cichlid. I have a 55gallon tank, 48 1/2" X 12 3/4" X 20 13/16", marineland 350B penguin power filter, driftwood and rock, t8 fixtures, and dark sand.

I do want to plant a few plants, Anubias, and fern.... Any other recommendations? I really don't have the 'funds to purchase T5 fixtures right now. So any suggestion on bulbs? I have 2 24" hoods (18in bulbs).

And I have all sort of ideas for fish... Labs, Rustys, Johanni, Acei, and any peacocks... I just can't make up my mind on what to go for. Any opinions? Any suggestions? Any tips? I do know it's not best to mix Mbuna and Peacocks. I know Acei need a longer tank. I just was wondering your thoughts?

Thank you!

I'm actually in the process of researching 55gallon options for malawi as well. so ill be following this to see what everybody else says. My tank measurements are exctly the same along with the 2 hoods :)

Cool! What I was thinking was
3 Yellow Labs
3 Rusty
3 Zebra

Roundtree said:
I have rehomed my Jack Dempsey and my Tiger Oscar. I am now researching Malawi cichlid. I have a 55gallon tank, 48 1/2" X 12 3/4" X 20 13/16", marineland 350B penguin power filter, driftwood and rock, t8 fixtures, and dark sand.

I do want to plant a few plants, Anubias, and fern.... Any other recommendations? I really don't have the 'funds to purchase T5 fixtures right now. So any suggestion on bulbs? I have 2 24" hoods (18in bulbs).

And I have all sort of ideas for fish... Labs, Rustys, Johanni, Acei, and any peacocks... I just can't make up my mind on what to go for. Any opinions? Any suggestions? Any tips? I do know it's not best to mix Mbuna and Peacocks. I know Acei need a longer tank. I just was wondering your thoughts?

Thank you!

Jungle Val is supposed to be another good plant to keep w Malawi. Don't mix mbuna and peacocks, different diet and aggression levels. You may think the diet thing is no big deal but as soon as you lose a fish to "malawi bloat" you will understand. Acei need a bigger tank. Mbuna need to be kept in a 1male to 3-4 female ratio. So maybe 12-15 all together.

Maybe maingano, yellow labs, and rusty. Or salousi is another good choice bc the males are blue and females are yellow

Thanks Joe! I thought it was 1:2 ratio. I have heard of "the bloat". What is it's cause exactly I understand it is from diet. Correct me if I am wrong please.
Which do you prefer Mbuna or Peacock?
And I still would like a bottom feeder, synodontis. Any suggestions?

Roundtree said:
Thanks Joe! I thought it was 1:2 ratio. I have heard of "the bloat". What is it's cause exactly I understand it is from diet. Correct me if I am wrong please.
Which do you prefer Mbuna or Peacock?
And I still would like a bottom feeder, synodontis. Any suggestions?

1:3 with mbuna. Too much protein/fat is the most common cause of bloat. It is important too feed them a good staple of nls pellets and blanched vegetables. I alternate pellets and veggies every other day. I have never kept peacocks but I enjoy my mbuna alot. I have 9 synodontis petricola. They are very active, and recently have been swimming to the top and greeting me along w the Cichlids when Im close to the tank.

I am going with Mbuna, I have more luck finding them in the store around me when I go test my skills of picking out what is what.

... Dang iPhone...
I'll probably end up with Mbuna. There are more to choose from and the stores carry more of them.

Jungle Val, it will grow with low lighting? I have a co2 system I ordered for another project, should I use the co2 in the 55gallon with the Mbuna? I will be growing Anubias, Java Fern, and Jungle Val. I am using T8 plant growth Bulbs.

Roundtree said:
... Dang iPhone...
I'll probably end up with Mbuna. There are more to choose from and the stores carry more of them.

Jungle Val, it will grow with low lighting? I have a co2 system I ordered for another project, should I use the co2 in the 55gallon with the Mbuna? I will be growing Anubias, Java Fern, and Jungle Val. I am using T8 plant growth Bulbs.

Don't know much about plants.

They are cool fish. And with Demosani you need to keep them in groups around 12, correct?

Ok, so I have just returned from the LFS that is run by the coolest older woman in the world! But, that is a different story. I have put a few dudes and dudettes on hold!

1:3 Yellow Labs
1 Rusty is on hold and I have a request on her next shipment for more (Wednesday). I need some help with picking out males and females as far as Rusty Cichlid, and she wasn't for sure on them either.

Anymore opinions on stocking? Maybe something to contrast the two already picked?

Roundtree said:
Ok, so I have just returned from the LFS that is run by the coolest older woman in the world! But, that is a different story. I have put a few dudes and dudettes on hold!

1:3 Yellow Labs
1 Rusty is on hold and I have a request on her next shipment for more (Wednesday). I need some help with picking out males and females as far as Rusty Cichlid, and she wasn't for sure on them either.

Anymore opinions on stocking? Maybe something to contrast the two already picked?

Maingano is blue with black barring. Maybe some afra?

I really like Maingano Johanni, but maybe something a little more exotic. But I really like them, I might end up with them on the stocking list to wrap it up. I dont know still reading around.

Roundtree said:
I really like Maingano Johanni, but maybe something a little more exotic. But I really like them, I might end up with them on the stocking list to wrap it up. I dont know still reading around.

Do you have a couple you are considering?

No, that's what I say I will probably end up the the Johanni. I just wanted something a little out of the ordinary. I like Pseudotropheus Tropheops/Golden Tropheops and Melanochromis Auratus/Auratus. Any info on these two fish?

Roundtree said:
No, that's what I say I will probably end up the the Johanni. I just wanted something a little out of the ordinary. I like Pseudotropheus Tropheops/Golden Tropheops and Melanochromis Auratus/Auratus. Any info on these two fish?

Not a big fan or auratus, never had one, but never have heard much good about them. Maybe some type of cynotalapia afra?

alot of people have problems with auratus, i have 5 and they only chase each other so i guess im lucky. but yeah most people have horror stories with the auratus.

Back
Top Bottom