Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

confused about classifications.

So melanochromis maingano is now known as psuedotropheus maingano? So I would have trouble with hybridization between them and my Acei? Also metriclima greyshakie was formerly known as psuedotropheus greyshakie. So they will battle my Acei males and also breed with them? Excuse my ignorance im just trying to figure this all out.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

To ease the confusion a bit (at least from one perspective) all lake malawi cichlids can theoretically cross with each other, whether they belong to the same genus or not or same group (mbuna, hap, peacock) or not.

Howver, pretty much all of the species are 'wired' to seek out their own kind, especially if the opposite gender of their species also exists in the tank.

Even when their own kind isn't present in the tank, they may not attempt to cross with other species. I have a few lone species representatives in several tanks and they have no procreation-related interest in any of the other fish for several years now. With that said, some individual fish are more apt to cross than others.

With proper gender ratio's in place AND the absence of similar looking females, species-crossing or interspecies breeding right competitions will be significantly reduced.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com