Considering Africans...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been surfing the net tonight looking for ideas for my new (old) tank that I got today. I've never kept African cichlids before and while I was checking out bluegrasscichlids.com I really liked the look of pseudotropheus saulosi. Would it be possible to keep a species only tank of these guys in a 3 foot 35 gallon tank, or do they need something bigger? :D If this would work, how many could I keep? TIA

It's about time you venture off into Africans Severum! I was hoping that someday you would convert. :D When I read your previous thread I got to thinking, how cool would it be to make that a species only African tank. I read your mind. :D

On to your question, the Pseudotropheus saulosi needs a minimum 30 gal tank. So check your measurements with the calculator on AA. They are beautiful fish, especially if you get males and females. They look nothing alike. Before setting up the tank make sure you have plenty of hiding places. These fish can be very territorial. But if you purchase them as Juvi's and its a species only tank, I don't see a problem. When they get to the mating size make sure there is a proper ratio though. These fish can be easily sexed so that shouldn't be a problem.

The tank dimensions are the same as my other 3 foot tank, 36" long x 12" wide x 16" tall as measured from the outside. Do you think it would work? :D

That's a 29 gal tank. I don't see a problem with it, but make sure you have plenty of hiding places. :D Congrats on the tank Severum!

Interesting. It seems as though I have a 29 gallon that is 30 inches long, and now 2 29 gallons that are 36 inches long. :D

I also really like the look of n. brichardi "daffodil" that I saw on a couple sites. Would they do ok in there as a species tank?

If I go with Africans, I'm going to need kind of a lot of help, since I've never kept any before, so here come the dumb questions LOL. My pH is 7.0 out of the tap, so I know I will need to use aragonite substrate to raise pH. Do I also need holey rock, or limestone, or other rock that will raise pH, or will substrate make enough of a difference (bear with me, I've never tried to change pH in any of my tanks)? Also, I've read about adding salt to the water for Africans, can someone explain this to me and recommend a good brand? I know that like other cichlids, they are messy. I was thinking of getting an Aquaclear 300, would 300 gph be enough filtration (I know canisters are better but I can't afford one). I can bump that up to Emperor 400 if necessary. I read that the p. saulosi like to eat algae, will I need any special lighting to grow what they like or will a cheap hood/light combo be good enough? Finally, if I choose p. saulosi, how many could I keep? Same question for brichardi. I do know about slightly overstocking to control aggression, but I don't know how many would be enough. TIA! :mrgreen:

Regarding the pH, you can keep them in 7.0, but to help simulate the natual environment, use a sand substrate and build some caves out of texas holey rock or limestone. You can also put crushed coral in the filter. This will help increase the pH. Don't use any of the other mumbo jumbo chemicals that don't work. Natural is the best way to go. This will also raise your hardness, so that's a plus.

Salt is not needed for Africans. I don't use it and never will (unless treating for ich). So that's not something that you need to worry about.

The 300 gph is good enough. That's 10x filtration. Just make sure you keep up with weekly water changes. They poop alot and you will need to keep up with the vacs to keep nitrates down. But weekly 25% would be good enough for you.

Your lighting is good enough. You can toss in an algae wafer once a week or so (unles you have a pleco, then bump it up to 3 times a week).

Oh, good tip GM. :D

FF- was it you that ordered from bluegrasscichlids.com? I thought I read that someone here ordered from them.

Can anyone advise on how many I could keep? :D

I haven't odered from Bluegrass. I don't order fish online. But I would definately increase the pH and hardness through natural ways (ie: Rocks and crushed coral). That way you don't have to keep adding anything to the tank to maintain the level. It's basically a set it and forget it setup.

I'm not farmilar with your fish, but after I get home tonight I can do some checking online and see what I can find. Which ones were you wanting to keep, just the Saulosi or the combination?

Which ones were you wanting to keep, just the Saulosi or the combination?
What I meant was I like both the p. saulosi and the brichardi, but that I would choose only one species. I wouldn't say I have it narrowed down either, I am totally open to suggestions. :D I would like to get more ideas and then do some more research and choose something for a species colony, I think it would be so fascinating! If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them, I will probably order online so I am mostly looking for fish I can't get locally (there aren't too many I could get locally). :D

GM, I checked out those cookie cutter setups last night but I didn't really find them to be that helpful. Since they mix the species, I didn't know if the numbers would be different for a species tank. Thanks anyway. :D

i can't help you much on the brichardi's. but they do need pristine water quality with smaller but more frequent pwc's. as a colony, 2 males and 4-5 females in a 36" tank should be ok.

the saulosi colony can definitely be bigger than that. sexual dimorphism is another trait that's make your tank look brighter. a colony of 10 adults (2m/8f) would be great. that way you'll be able to watch the behavior of the sub-dominant male too..i mean the guy will get a little beat up...but :mrgreen: ...
anyway, you can get them as adults or as juvis. but IMO its best to start with around 15 juvies and sell the sub-dominant males to your lfs as they develop. remember, only the dominant male will attain the blue-barred color.

yes, I remember reading that. Do you have any ideas for other colorful, active Africans that would be good in a species colony? There are so many out there that I have never heard of. :D

IMO all africans are active provided good water quality is maintained (which i know you would be giving them :D )...with the color part, it all depends on your personal choice. there are so many of them and with so much color that i really get confused sometimes and want to put all of them in a huge, huge tank... :roll:

but i'll try to run through some malawi species, since i don't know much about tangs...
you can easily keep a trio(1m/2f) of any of the aulonocara (peacock) species or smaller copadichromis species (c. azureus is my favorite). the males have amazing color, but females are drab...so it's your call.
there are a number of victorian haps that would be comfortable there (1m/2f)...your call again, numerous species...
other non-mbuna like placidochromis, sciaenochromis, protomelas, nimbochromis etc are out of question...(well, not completely, but its slightly dangerous)

coming to mbuna, only labidochromis (specially yellow labs) and cynotilapia (afra) can easily be kept there. i'd stay away from the other pseudotropheus (saulosi is one, but its a dwarf, other dwarf ones like demasoni are lot more aggressive), melonochromis and labeotropheus ones....

but at the end of the day you have to do your own research and make your own decision. i have found out advice doesn't get you through everytime.

good luck.

What kind of coloration are you looking for? Are you looking for many smaller fish or a few larger fish? Ie: 10 of one smaller specie or maybe 4 of a larger specie?

I love my Acei's, but they can be harder to sex and will get too big for your tank. I love the yellow labs but if you are trying to sex them you have to buy them are large or medium juvi's and even then they are difficult to sex. I like the soulosi idea, to have maybe 2 males and the rest females, that would look awesome. They look like two totally different fish. They can be brilliant in color. Another great one is some of the less common Labidochromis caeruleus. They very in color but are difficult to find.

Check out www.malawimayhem.com and see what you like. They have tons of pics and it will help you determine what can fit into your tank. Do you like the body shape of the mbuna or are you more of a hap kind of person? The Nimbo's are out of the question just because of the size.

I think I am looking for more smaller fish, and I prefer the body shape of the mbuna. I liked the pics I saw of the less common labidochromis. Thanks for the link, I will check it out. :D

Back
Top Bottom