Convict breeding behavior HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 convicts roughly 6-8 months old. That I thought were both females because of their coloration that have paired off and set up shelter behind a rock crevice and the back glass, they’ve dug a little pit under the rock, and have been hanging out in that little spot, and fiercely defended it for about 11 days now, showing full deep coloration the whole time.

I haven’t seen any eggs, or fry and I have been looking as best as I can, but I am not able to see down into the little hole they have dug and anytime I try to look they lay across it sideways and cover it.

My concerns/questions. I’m reading about various accounts of convicts “changing gender” and I don’t know what to believe. I’ve also read accounts of 2 females nesting together and guarding unfertilized eggs. And of course I’ve read about just plain old convict breeding. My understanding was eggs will hatch in about 3-4 days, and fry will start swimming around after about a week.

Fry definitely will not be safe in my tank, as there are several other predatory fish that would gobble them up. I’m wondering if they all might be eaten during the night before I ever see any.

How long should I wait on this situation? How long would they guard unfertilized eggs, is that a big possibility of what they are doing 11 days into this behavior? How do I go about, and when is the best time to “de-nest” them.

I have insanely beautiful convicts, and I thought I had grabbed 3 females. They were only about 1/2” when I got them about 6 months ago.

I miss seeing them, and I want them back swimming around where I can see them.

TTA

Back
Top Bottom