Convict cichlid question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dusty280

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 50 gallon tank set up that has plenty of hiding places (rocks). In this tank I have two convict cichlids (both males). They have been in tank a little over a year. One male is about 4 inches the other is about 2 inches. All day long they just hide in their caves. I have read if I add more fish (appropriate obvious with aggressive nature of convicts) these two fish or more likely to come out of hiding? Any advice about this and what would be good additions if yes. Thanks.

I find my convicts to be very active I have 6 females in a tank with 2 red jewels and en EBJD and a pleco they bicker between themselves but do not mess with the other fish.

Yes, that is my point. I think if you have a small group of convicts (as compared to one or two), they may bicker, but will all feel safer seeing the other fish. Maybe I will try to introduce a few new members. Although I do worry that the other two convicts are so established, the newbies may be overwhelmed...

As long as there is enough room for the males to establish a territory (I don't think females do his as much) you should be fine adding new members. Just when you add new ones take all you decor out an rearrange it, that's what I do when I add a new guy....

Back
Top Bottom