Convict cichlid tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

exeori

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am setting up a 180 litre tank and want some convicts. Which others will be able to handle living with them because I know they are agressive, especially when breeding. I was thinking maybe firemouths and jack dempseys. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Jacks, Firemouths, Oscars, armored Plecos, pearl cichlids, or jewel cichlids. Also snails tend to do pretty good, chinese algae eaters, and larger species of shrimp/crayfish.

(If you're thinking about breeding the convicts, don't go with jacks, oscars, or pearls.)

Jack Dempseys grow a bit large for that size tank. I'd suggest a good bit of cover and a raphael catfish to help control the fry.

A pictus cat might work. A bristlenose pleco would be the best option in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'd love an electric blue JD. Would it not be tough enough?

Electric blue jack Dempsey cichlids are known for being delicate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I used to keep convicts with meeki . They did not bother each other. Unfortunately the firemouths did bother each other after they started breeding. Could only keep 1 male firemouth in the tank.

I raised the meeki from fry. They were peaceful until abt. 2-3 years when two paired for breeding. Then the wars began and all other male meeki's were torn to death. Convicts were also in the tank. They were not bothered by the meeki.

I was surprised, because I had thought firemouths weren't very aggressive...

I would try to only leave 1 male firemouth and convict in the tank. Which would be bad if that one ever died, because where do find another adult male big enough to hold his own?

Later on, getting another small tank to grow 1 male when you need him, or temporarily store a problem fish until you give it back to the petstore is probably a good idea. Some sort of tiny 20 gallon or so...

My local fish store advised me that the convicts would be too aggressive for any other American cichlid, especially firemouths?

My local fish store advised me that the convicts would be too aggressive for any other American cichlid, especially firemouths?

Get a new fish store

I have Firemouths and Mbunas in with my Convicts but I only have two Convicts in there with the rest. They keep to themselves unless they're guarding fry.

Casey

Do they keep okay? I'd love to do that because of the colours and I love the behaviour of convicts but I was told not to mix

As long as you don't have too many convicts they'll mix well with others. Lots of people say not to mix but I've only had one problem with any Cichlid and it was a male yellow lab and he went after the female yellow labs. He ended up getting a new home. Other than that I've had no problems mixing. My male firemouth keeps everyone in check

Casey

There is NO definitive answer to your question, but a Convict is no tougher than a Firemouth or a Dempsey or a Green Terror or a ....

Every tank has a pecking order and every pecking order to different, sometimes they'll all get along, sometimes they'll all try to kill each other but in my experience a Convict is no more aggressive than the rest of the Central American Cichlids

All you can do is try, but the best efforts are made when they are all juvies as it is ALWAYS difficult to add new fish once they all get 3"+

Welcome to the World of Cichlids otherwise known as Survival of the Fittest

I have pink convicts and firemouths together with no problems. The biggest convict in the tank seems to keep the pecking order in check?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404975514.458324.jpg

Jack Dempseys grow a bit large for that size tank. I'd suggest a good bit of cover and a raphael catfish to help control the fry.

I hear 55 as a good size for Jacks, but IMO, 75 minimum. My JD was miserable in a 55. It's great when they are growing, but sad when they are adults. I rehomed mine.

I

Back
Top Bottom