Convict cichlid the excavator! (Behavior questions)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertmarda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have one convict cichlid (6 inches long) in my 55 gallon tank. I think this fish is male. He has a large bump on his head.

I believe he is the fish that is moving all the gravel in my tank. If this speculation is true then he has 3 spots cleared of gravel. My question is, do male convict cichlids clear space for eggs? Or is that only the female? If males do this, does that mean he is hoping a female will appear?

Could a convict cichlid and a firemouth cichlid breed? I have a 1 and a half inch firemouth and am wondering if it is female could the convict be courting her?

Hi Robert,

Yes, the convicts do claer gravel when they are ready to breed, it is not for the eggs as these are laid on a flat surface, usually protected, but for when the fry are newly hatched and a show of territory. If the firemouth is a female, it has been known that breeds have cross bred, I have a 'pavement' special from my LFS and it is nothing you will ever see. If you have a successful breed, they could be worth a little in cash as it is a new species? Something to consider.

The way to tell, with out seeing the other of the species, is going to be hard to explain. But generally the female is smaller in size, with the convict it is fairly easy to tell as when the female is ready to lay eggs, the underside of her belly turns a bright orange and yellow. Her dorsal and under belly fins are not as pointy as the males, that is to say that, the males fins will be so pointy that they wil 'over-flow' the back-end fin to such a point that the fish looks heart shaped. This holds similar to the firemouth but the female firemouth's fins are more pointed than the female convict as hers are slightly rounded.

I hope I haven't confused you more?

Hope it helps.

I believe I understand.

In any case I don't think the firemouth is mature enough to breed and I think I'd rather not have a breeding pair as I think they would then start killing my other 20 some odd fish in the tank.

I'll have to wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom