Convict Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xkenneth

Aquarium Advice Activist
Question,

My friend has a mated (i assume) pair of convicts in his 110 african cichlid tank, with about i'd say 10 other equivalent sized (3"-5") africans. I have a pair of mated pink convicts that I really need off of my hands. I really don't like being cruel to my fish so my question is, if I throw my pair of convicts in there will they make it? I've read it's something lik 25gallons per mated pair in large tanks and I just wanted to get some other opinions.

Regards,
Ken

They might quarrel at first, but I'd say it'd be okay. As long as the convicts are similar in size to the other fish in the tank.

I think convicts are south american cichlids, so he may have some issues down the road in mixing the two regions.

Hth

I think cons are Central Americans, but of course they have the same general requirements for diet and water perameters. Your friend may have problems down the road with his or her Africans if feeding the amount of protein that cons need. Too much protein in the Africans' diet may lead to bloat.

I would not do it because as the others stated, they are South American. The two different types of Cichlids should not be mixed because of water and dietary requirements.

Back
Top Bottom