Convict Info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all!! I have a 125 gallon tank with 3 convicts in it, my question? I've never had Convicts before so I don't know much about them. Specifically, breeding. Can anyone give me any info on this? My Africans hold their eggs, so today when I saw eggs on the side of one of the flower pots I was like, hmmm...lol

How often do they lay eggs?
How long before they become free swimming fry?
Some of the eggs are white, some brown, why?
ANY info will greatly be appreciated!!!

You have convicts and Africans together? Not a good idea.
Anyway convicts are very hardy fish and reproduce rapidly. 3-5 after laying eggs they hatch. White eggs are unfurtle Brown/amber eggs are fertile. How old or big are the convicts? I have a pair that lay eggs every 10 days or so but there a young pair so they eat the fry which is common the first couple spawns. Free swimmers probably within a week after hatching. Once the eggs are about to hatch parents will dig out a place where the fry will spend there first week. Both parents protect the eggs and the fry and convicts are vicious protectors of their eggs and fry.

cichlidcasey said:
How old or big are the convicts?

I'm not sure of their age, I rescued them from someone who had them all in a 10 gallon tank. They're all approx 3-4 inches in length

I don't see any in the pic lol. But at 3 inches ya they should be good to go. When did they lay eggs?

cichlidcasey said:
I don't see any in the pic lol. But at 3 inches ya they should be good to go. When did they lay eggs?

They're all inside the flower pot...

And I'm not sure, just noticed them today...

Mine always hatch at night. The convicts will start digging in front of the pot or they should. Keep me updated.

kelbaker79 said:
Hi all!! I have a 125 gallon tank with 3 convicts in it, my question? I've never had Convicts before so I don't know much about them. Specifically, breeding. Can anyone give me any info on this? My Africans hold their eggs, so today when I saw eggs on the side of one of the flower pots I was like, hmmm...lol

How often do they lay eggs?
How long before they become free swimming fry?
Some of the eggs are white, some brown, why?
ANY info will greatly be appreciated!!!

They are super agressive when mating and will kill other fish, they take care of their babies and are even more agressive with the babies around, all in all, dont breed these fish

ilikepie said:
They are super agressive when mating and will kill other fish, they take care of their babies and are even more agressive with the babies around, all in all, dont breed these fish

I wasn't trying to...lol. I rescued them from someone who was keeping them in a 10 gallon tank. They are the only 3 fish in this 125 gallon. How to I get them to not breed?? Re-home the male and keep the females I suppose? Thanks for the info!

Thats stupid! You should breed them! Its so cool seeing them around and all that stuff and since you have a larger tank then the lone one might be able to hid from the others, just watch that the other is just sswimming in one corner of the tank :)

kelbaker79 said:
I wasn't trying to...lol. I rescued them from someone who was keeping them in a 10 gallon tank. They are the only 3 fish in this 125 gallon. How to I get them to not breed?? Re-home the male and keep the females I suppose? Thanks for the info!

Ya I disagree. The are good parents and very protective but mine never killed any other fish. They keep the others away from their fry and eggs but there not killers as long as they're with other cichlid type fish. Breed away its amazing to watch.

cichlidcasey said:
Ya I disagree. The are good parents and very protective but mine never killed any other fish. They keep the others away from their fry and eggs but there not killers as long as they're with other cichlid type fish. Breed away its amazing to watch.

They do kill fish I would know first hand, i had a fish with a hole pecked almost through it

cichlidcasey said:
What did ur convicts kill

Umm im pretty sure im right when i say 2 mating convicts cant have tankmates becuase they will attack anything that trys to eat their fry so my question is what do YOU jave with breeding convicts

Maybe you could keep an oscar but that would be in danger too, just look it up if you dont believe me

I have a pair of texas cichlids a green terrier African knife and African featherfin catfish.

Back
Top Bottom