Convict pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drew vest6

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a pair of mature convicts that I received from a friend... He got other larger fish. The female is ready to bread, and the male is ready, but they haven't paired yet. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process? Or do I just let nature take it's course?

Of the water is good, and it is definitely a male and female it's going to happen and it's going to happen a lot!!!!! If you were near me I could give you a few more to help it happen. Is she of mature age? Red under her belly? Her fins will change pretty colors when she is ready too.

Of the water is good, and it is definitely a male and female it's going to happen and it's going to happen a lot!!!!! If you were near me I could give you a few more to help it happen. Is she of mature age? Red under her belly? Her fins will change pretty colors when she is ready too.

Yes she is orange bellied, and when I added the male her dorsal and under find went to a very pretty blue that she had not done before.

Water changes with slightly cooler water (use RO if possible for the water change) and feeding live foods generally induces spawning behavior., however, make sure you have a plan for the fry as convicts breed like absolute rabbits

It took forever to get mine to spawn after I moved. When I switched everything around and switched out the substrate I've been having babies non stop! Try rearranging there tank and doing water changes. I heard that if you take out some water and let the filter water sprinkle on the top for 30-45 minutes it makes it seem like it's raining and helps them "get in the mood". Don't know how true this is, but I tried it... Seemed to help.

Drew seems like it's happening ant time now!!! Be on the lookout! If it's not happening soon you may need another male.

They do breed like crazy once they start!

Chevy what do you do with all your fry?

If I want to keep them I take them out; usually give them away to people who are just starting out with cichlids (there a great fish to learn on, they can survive anything). I've been able to sell a couple hundred dollars worth, but usually give them away. If I have extras they goto my cousins piranhas. If I'm to lazy to do anything about it my Mbunas usually get a nice snack if they can catch them... Out of all the fry that hatch in my tank I usually get about 1 or 2 who survive. And then there worthy to stay in my tank :)

Water changes with slightly cooler water (use RO if possible for the water change) and feeding live foods generally induces spawning behavior., however, make sure you have a plan for the fry as convicts breed like absolute rabbits

My friend and I have a tank that we are transferring into a fry tank... His male and female pair have already dug their bed

Just a tip when removing the fry;

Make sure there completely free swimming, if they stay with mom and dad for a couple days they seem to survive better.

Use a turkey baster to suck them up, a lot easier then a net! Make sure the fry tank is the same as the main tank (ph, temperature, etc)

Try not to overfeed. It's really hard not to hah.

You might know all this, but if not hope it helps!

Just a tip when removing the fry;

Make sure there completely free swimming, if they stay with mom and dad for a couple days they seem to survive better.

Use a turkey baster to suck them up, a lot easier then a net! Make sure the fry tank is the same as the main tank (ph, temperature, etc)

Try not to overfeed. It's really hard not to hah.

You might know all this, but if not hope it helps!

Thanks! I didn't know to use a turkey baster, I just thought to do a pwc and suck up the frie into the bucket...

When I said a place for fry, i didn't mean a spare fry tank, I meant a place to give all the fry. Convicts breed like crazy and are a dime a dozen, most of the time you can't give them away, let alone sell them. Make sure you have a plan to move the fry or you'll be over run with convicts

When I said a place for fry, i didn't mean a spare fry tank, I meant a place to give all the fry. Convicts breed like crazy and are a dime a dozen, most of the time you can't give them away, let alone sell them. Make sure you have a plan to move the fry or you'll be over run with convicts

Oh yes we do have a place for them

A turkey baster makes it soooo easy. And if your not wanting to save all of them I just suck up a few and then let mom and dad keep the rest. It cuts down on breeding a little bit... I've taken fry and then looked back the next day and they have laid eggs again... If I leave a couple, it's stops them from breeding for a little while...

If they haven't started breeding soon, check the temperature, a higher temp will get them breeding.

Just add water and they should breed if not make sure they have a pot or cave or at leadt some slate, then 30-40 % water change, up temp, and try live foods blood worm etc

I got them some rosy red feeder fish, and I picked up some freeze dried blood worms... Should this help?

Back
Top Bottom