Convict Tankmates/General Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

overridden

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, new here, and getting back into the aquarium hobby. I'm heading to college in Fall of 2018, so I'm looking to keep my fish varieties fairly hardy so that my parents can take care of them for my freshman year until I move off campus. That being said, I have recently acquired a Male Convict Cichlid, who is at least 4 years old. Before I got him he was in a fairly small tank, and I think it may have stunted his growth, as he has no head bump, and he is around 2.5-3" long. I've had Convicts in the past in species only tanks, and this guy seems fairly timid (hiding when I enter the room, only coming out of his cave when I sit still for around 15 minutes, etc). I had to rush the setup job so I "cycled" the tank using Tetra Safe Start Plus, and some gravel and ornaments from a well established tank. He's currently in a 29 gallon, with an Aqueon Quiet Flow 20 filter and a Whisper Air Pump rated for up to 40 gallons. Attached is a picture of the tank. He likes the cave on the right more, but the one on the left is from his old tank so I left it in just in case. I know firsthand how aggressive Convicts can be, but I was wondering if there's any hardy (preferably schooling) fish that I could add after a while? I've heard of some successes with Convicts and Tiger Barbs or Skirt Tetras, but I'd like to get a second (or third or fourth) opinion. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 29gal.jpg
    29gal.jpg
    237.8 KB · Views: 72
Tigers have a bunch of energy. That foot print would cramp them. I think skirts, Colombians, diamonds, and the like would all be fine

That looks like a fairly small tank for a fish that can get up to 5-6"

I'd say keep up the WC's and let him grow and be as mean and nasty as he wants to be solo...

With no mate I don't see how it won't stress him out in a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom