Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdavenport

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 55g with mostly all black/grey striped convicts, I recently introduced an albino female who has already laid her eggs and found a little boyfriend to fertilize them. my Q is will they be both black and grey striped babies and albino babies??

That's what I am thinking, somone will be the normal color, some will be the albino color. There is a chance though you could get a mix, since the genes might mix, but it's a chance, i'm not saying your for sure going to because I honestly don't know.

Mostly likely you'll get mostly (or all) normal since the albino gene is recessive. It all depends on whether or not the male carried the albino gene (which you can't tell by looking)...if he was normal colored and carried it, you'll have a mix (about 50/50); if he didn't carry the gene, you'll get 100% normal; if he is albino, they'll be 100% albino.

I agree with all comments posted you will get a mix and match... I was breeding convicts for years and boy do they breed....

If the gene required for becoming an albino is represented by the lower case "a" and normal color represented by upper case "A" then the female's gene code would have to be a/a. If the males Genes are A/A then you will get 0 albino's. If his gene code is A/a then it works out to you having about 25% albino like mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom