Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Plecos4596

Aquarium Advice Freak
Willa convict hurt or kill my fish in my tank tiger barbs Pleco tetras swordtails?

Willa convict hurt or kill my fish in my tank tiger barbs Pleco tetras swordtails?

I know next to nothing about cichlids but what I do know is that many should only be kept with other cichlids and I think convicts are the type that really only should be with other cichlids of a certain variety. Beyond that, I'd be nervous putting them with live bearers like swordtails, or with tetras. Barbs can arguably stand their ground but against a cichlid I would probably put my money on the cichlids. Not sure about the Pleco but from what I understand there are varieties that have a heavier "armour" that may do better. So, that's my very limited, minimally educated guess.

Say good bye to the tiger barbs IMO not a great idea. I tried a school of 12 and it didn't work out.

Fire mouth and Jack Dempsey would be better tank mates IMO

Say good bye to the tiger barbs IMO not a great idea. I tried a school of 12 and it didn't work out.

Fire mouth and Jack Dempsey would be better tank mates IMO

Hey Convict 2161. I was hoping you'd see this. Was I right to assume that the swordtails and tetras are out as well? Convicts are pretty much cichlid only tank types of fish, right?

Hey Convict 2161. I was hoping you'd see this. Was I right to assume that the swordtails and tetras are out as well? Convicts are pretty much cichlid only tank types of fish, right?

They get real nasty when breeding and protecting there young. I wouldn't do it. When I had my convict tank I had a pair of fire mouths and a pleco.

At the pet store it said that gold barbs were semi aggressive and I bought them said on the Internet they were always peaceful and mine aren't they go crazy on the other fish!

They will become target fish which is a catch 22. It will keep the cichlids from being as aggressive towards each other but they will pick the heck out of the barbs

barbs can be pretty mean, i've seen them kill a tetra or two in my tank before. convicts can be very deadly when they are rearing fry. my female killed her mate!

Back
Top Bottom