Convicts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canucksfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got 3 convicts from some guy who didn't want the small ones he got. They are betweent 1.5 and 2 inches in length and i was just wondering how you would go about tellin the difference between sexes. Also if they would be able to stay in the 23 i currently am using my only other choice would be my 29 when it becomes available to me to use in a few months.

Anyone????

Female cons have red/orange on their belly which you can usually see at the length you have. You could keep a pair in a 20 gallon or larger depending on what you have in the tank. They will become violent when breeding.

I have a pair in a 55 gallon that are working on their second brood in a month. I would "google" a convict breeding search and do some reading.

Alot of people do not appreciate convicts, but I find them to be beautiful and interesting.

Good luck!

Unfortunatly none of mine have any signs of red or orange on there belly hopefully at leats one developes it soon. I did just get them a couple days ago so they are prolly a lil stressed would that affect there colouring at all???

breeding is definatly something i would be interested in giving a shot and the lfs here would trade the young convicts for food for my other fish too so that would be helpful. The other reason beeing i have never breed any fish and these are obviously one of the easiest to start off with so it will hopefully help me learn i also got a few angels and other fish that maybe would day will put in there own tank and see if i can get some other fish to breed

Well, if you want breeders, Cons will get it done. I like them because they breed easily and are very hardy. I do weekly water changes and keep the water clean with "over" filtration. I wouldn't keep cons in a tank with Angels, better off alone or with dithers, especially when breeding.

I put cons in the same tank as angels they got along pretty well, kinda ignored each other. But as soon as they breed they killed 4 cories, 1 angel, 5 neon tetras, and a black skirt. So I would advice not putting anything in there with them is you want to breed them.

Well thats good right now there are 3 of them in there own tank i'm not to sure if i have any females tho so far the all look like males, and the biggest one is very aggresive towards the other 2 he swims around the middle of the tank and the pot and the others mostly sit up in the top corners anyway i am wondering if maybe the females just haven't developed color yet??? the smallest one is only just over an inch long

Attachments

• 0225071346a_168.jpg
    0225071346a_168.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom