Convicts? Africans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joostrom

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering if I could use convict fry for feeders for my Africans? I read up that alot of feeders have parasites and other diseases and they are cold water so I don't want to throw them in to my tank. What do you guys think?

Some people use baby convicts as feeders. Gouramis and tadpoles are also used.

I have labs, kenyi, blue dolphins, fuelleborni, and some others I'm not to sure of

I wouldn't use feeders then, the fish you have do not like high protein diet and you would do more bad than good. They need a more veggie diet. The only thing I do is feed river shrimp as a treat now and again.

So blood worms are no good? How can I get them to breed?

Joostrom said:

Blood worms are ok as a treat but hikari excel is great for mbuna.. to get them to breed just make sure you have proper m/f ratios (1m/3+f) and good water quality. As long as the tank is not undersized it shouldn't be an issue once they are sexually mature. Plus a lil tip, when doing a water change add slightly colder water then the tanks temp which will cause them to go into a breeding frenzy ime lol

A good vegetable-based flake interchanged with blanched peas, zucchini/squash, spinach, cucumbers, and/or carrots a coupla times a week, with an occassional treat of frozen blood worms or frozen shrimp. I feed blood worms or shrimp every other week or so, ya don't wanna go too often with 'em.

WYite

Back
Top Bottom