Convicts and JD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drew vest6

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all! I have a pair of convicts that are soon to breed, a Pleco, and a male jack Dempsey in my 29 gal. (Jack Dempsey will be rehomed soon). Ever since the convicts paired and are preparing to breed, the jack Dempsey has not come out of his cave except on a rare occasion, and that is at night with the lights off. Does any one have any ideas on how to get him to come out? any advice appreciated! Thanks.

Remove the convicts that's about it. He knows if he go near them hes going to get beat on. 30" x 12" just leaves no extra room.

The JD is only 3 1/2 - 4 inches... I'm trying to find him a new home, but I don't want to take him back to the LFS, because he won't be treated right, and will be put in bad conditions

Totally under stand but there really is no other answer. The 29 might work for the 2 convicts but nothing else with them. IMO even they need at least a 36" tank. The problem is there just isn't enough room for then to stay away from each other. If the cons are breeding they will see the JD as a threat.

I just saw a breeding pair of convicts successfully beat away a small red devil (5-6") in a 75 gallon, and they weren't even protecting eggs or wigglers at the time. They were inbetween spawns (it's a pair at my LFS that I help out at)

Back
Top Bottom