Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Cichlid Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

convicts or firemouths

Hi I got a 40g breeder for Christmas and I was thinking about either getting a pair of convicts or firemouths. I would like them to breed but I also would like to have other fish in with them. Is this a good idea or not, if possible what kind if fish can I have?

Old 01-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minky123
Hi I got a 40g breeder for Christmas and I was thinking about either getting a pair of convicts or firemouths. I would like them to breed but I also would like to have other fish in with them. Is this a good idea or not, if possible what kind if fish can I have?
I had both in my 55 gallon, but I had a bad experience I had to re home the firemouths because they where just nasty nasty nasty to the convicts, I was worried the other way around but not sure what happened. My FM's were beating everyone up!! They had to go.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh ol well I was thinking just keeping a pair in one tank and possibly some barbs
Old 01-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by minky123
Oh ol well I was thinking just keeping a pair in one tank and possibly some barbs
I new to the hobby and by NO MEANS AN EXPERT. All I can say is something's work and something's don't. I firmly believe that it doesn't depend on the fish per say or the setup, it depends on YOUR fish and YOUR setup.

Example, a friend of mine had convicts, firemouths, red eye tetras, tiger barbs, jack Dempsey's, plecos and 2 gold fish!! Yes!! I said goldfish!!! Is this right? I dunno, going by what? A book? A website? I don't have those answers. Are they different pH levels for those fish? Yes, that we know... But it works for him and has been for almost a year.

Now put something in my African tank and it's an instant killing spree!!! NOTHING survives in my tank of doom!! Those are my fish though. Not yours or anyone else's. Oh my giant danios lived there all fine!! You would think they would be dead!! NOPE!! But they killed 1 eel and a few other fish.

So my point is if you wanna try it, try it!! Your not gonna know unless you do. Yes it's sad to see fish die or killed. Keep an eye on them an re home if need be. Act fast and remove. Again I'm not an expert so going by what I've seen and experienced.

Good luck!!

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks con appreciate it
Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I would just go for a pair of either not both and no other fish in the tank. If they breed they will get extremely agressive towards others

Jason's Profile Page
Jason7894561230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can hook you up with some juvies or a proven pair of cutteri, they're much easier to get along with than convicts or firemouths. They spawn pretty regularly. I keep one pair on a 40 breeder with a Carapo knife to control the fry, and 2 other pairs in a 90 with some other cichlids and catfish for the same purpose.
A pair only claims a small territory, and even when guarding eggs or fry they don't get violent.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would go with the firemouths. Convicts breed like crazy and you'll end up with a million of them. You might be able to get both if you put some wood or plants in the middle to break up there line of sight. It has worked for me unless they both wanted the same side. And add the smaller "weeny" fish you wanted first and give them at least a week to find the good spots to hide
Old 01-04-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I got a 5g today from my girlfriends mom so that is going to be a fry tank. If I got convicts I could put the fry in there. Could I use the fry as food or a snack for my other fish?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah everything eats baby fish. I always just left them in the main tank and if they made it cool if they didn't ohh well
Old 01-04-2012, 05:14 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Use that 5gal for guppys they breed like mad and you can grow them as big as you want

Tags
convict, convicts, firemouth, firemouths

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com