convicts or kribs???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm currently breeding swordtails in a 55 gallon. There is also a pair of kribs in there with some fry. I'm trying to decide whether to get another pair of kribs or a pair of convicts to go in a separate aquarium. I heard that convicts are easy to breed as well. Also there are 5small cories and 3 cardinals in the krib/ sword tank. I recently moved the kribs and their little package to the 55 gallon because the 40 gallon seemed empty with just the kribs in it. Currently the 40 gallon is empty and that is where I plan on putting the convicts if i get them. I just want soke help in deciding which to get, whether or not to move fish, and some advice on breeding cichlids. And if there is a better species to replace either other one. Thanks

I do not have personal experience but a good friend had convicts and said they breed like.....convicts lol.

most people use convict fry for feeder fish. They are to easy to spawn. Most petstores wont take them and there are so many out there. good luck getting rid of em all.

So convicts is the way to go forr now. How do their fry work in a community. (Temporarily until they are big enough to sell)

Fry generally get eaten in a community. The way I did was to remove the holding momma and I placed her in a pre cycled 10g tank with a rock hiding place. she spit the fry and for a while everytime I would approach the tank she would suck all the fry back into her mouth (maternal protection) then upon advice,, when she quit trying to suck them back up I removed her and put her back in main tank that night. (so she wouldnt turn on her own fry)

I've seen the parents suck 1 in at a time. Maybe I saw the fry late, but I think they're 6 days old (since the first time I noticed them). Both parents are guarding the fry and haven't shown signs of 'turning on them'. Are they safe?

Actually, I think we were talking about kribs. But they're not mouthbrooders either I thought (Pelvicachromis pulcher). Oh and how would I go about setting up a convict breeding aquarium?

zooking12 said:
Actually, I think we were talking about kribs. But they're not mouthbrooders either I thought (Pelvicachromis pulcher). Oh and how would I go about setting up a convict breeding aquarium?

In mine I just have a few rock structures and some plastic plans just in case the male gets to excited and she can swim away.

just so you now convicts are the most known cichlid out there. most people end up giving them away and they breed constantly. if you want something like convicts i suggest the cousin the Honduran red point(this is if your gonna sell the fry) the breed at the same pace as convicts but worth alot more money. just my 2 cents

Cool. I think I might try to breed them a couple of times (convicts). I'll trade the fry for some hondurans (if I can get this whole cichlid thing right;-).

Back
Top Bottom