Convicts urgent!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chenay83

Aquarium Advice Freak
My convicts have had fry and now the is being very agressive towards the female. I'm scared for her she has taken to hidding and whenever she comes out he corners her and attacks her until she gets away. What should I do?

saparate the female. put her in a separate tank, or if ur desperate and have no other tank, put her in a breeding net.

is the male properly looking after the fry? if yes, leave him to it. if no, remove him and let her guard the fry.

It's normal for the males to act like that. If you have another tank to move her to then that's an option. If not, try to make her a very good hiding space, her own corner. Once the fry are free swimming for a few days, his aggression towards her should lessen.

The fry have been free swimming for 3 days. He is looking after them. If I seperate them would it break their bond, will I ever be able to put her back in the tanl with him?

So now you have a couple of options.

Since the fry are free swimming, you can move them into the tank you have the female in and move the female back into the tank with the male. Rearrange the tank before putting her back in. With territorial fish, rearranging the tank causes them to lose the territory markers, so it's a "fresh start" This is if you want to keep the fry.

The other option is rearrange the tank and add her back in. Leaving the fry. Chances are good that the male will eat the fry, so this choice is if you don't want to keep them.

Well I tried to take the fry out but couldn't catch them all. The fry tank has only been up and running for a week I hope they don't die on me, I thought I would have way more time to get it ready. I won't be able to get a test until after the holidays.

He is still attacking her if I put her back in with the fry will she eat/kill them? For all the work I've done I could have just put hi in the fry tank.

Back
Top Bottom