Could These Fish Go Together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 150 gallon tank and know very little about cichlids. Do you guys think this stock list could work and they would all get along?
1 Oscar
1 Jack Dempsy
1 Green Terror
2 Convicts
1 Spotted Sailfin Pleco
1 African Featherfin Catfish

Im not an expert, but the first 3 fish seem fine, but a pair of cons might be trouble. Is it a bredder pair? Pleco will prob be okay, not sure about the featherfin.

The first 3 are very territorial and will most likely fight

And if you go with an Oscar and a pleco then I hope that you have some mean filtration as they are pooping machines

I do. I have a very strong sump ;) and do daily 10-15 gallon water changes.

vanimal said:
I have a 150 gallon tank and know very little about cichlids. Do you guys think this stock list could work and they would all get along?
1 Oscar
1 Jack Dempsy
1 Green Terror
2 Convicts
1 Spotted Sailfin Pleco
1 African Featherfin Catfish

I think you'll be fine with that setup, but I'd personally scrap the pleco or get a smaller one. They really pollute the water. I don't know about the African catfish to make a recommendation.

The Oscar, JD, GT and convicts are all extremely stale for SA/CA cichlids. I'd recommend swapping at least one of them with something a little more unique.

Also, I'd stop the 10/15 daily and do 50% PWC once a week.

5x5 said:
I think you'll be fine with that setup, but I'd personally scrap the pleco or get a smaller one. They really pollute the water. I don't know about the African catfish to make a recommendation.

The Oscar, JD, GT and convicts are all extremely stale for SA/CA cichlids. I'd recommend swapping at least one of them with something a little more unique.

Also, I'd stop the 10/15 daily and do 50% PWC once a week.

That takes so long to haul that much water. 75 gallons caried to the sink and then 75 back that would take hours!

I don't know about you but I've always wanted a male jaguar cichlid. You might also want to look into Texas cichlids. I do like JDs and oscars though. 15 gallons a day would be fine since that's 105 a week.)

Maxkolbe said:
I don't know about you but I've always wanted a male jaguar cichlid. You might also want to look into Texas cichlids. I do like JDs and oscars though. 15 gallons a day would be fine since that's 105 a week.)

Yeah same they're going to be EBJD's and they look amazing.

vanimal said:
That takes so long to haul that much water. 75 gallons caried to the sink and then 75 back that would take hours!

Reminds me of when I filled my 180 gallon by hand.

Surely you've heard of the python products? I can't even imagine going back to buckets for my 65. It will be the best $40 you ever spend.

5x5 said:
Reminds me of when I filled my 180 gallon by hand.

Surely you've heard of the python products? I can't even imagine going back to buckets for my 65. It will be the best $40 you ever spend.

I'm short on money so ill have to stick with the 5 gallon buckets for now. How do you dechlorinate the water with that??

vanimal said:
I'm short on money so ill have to stick with the 5 gallon buckets for now. How do you dechlorinate the water with that??

You stop the siphon and dose the whole tank with dechlorinator (couple capfuls or so). Then you reverse the flow and add new water. Simple and effective.

vanimal said:
Yeah same they're going to be EBJD's and they look amazing.

If you're short on money, I would get a regular jack Dempsey and scrap the EBJD. They cost a fortune and they are prone to early death. I have two juvs and they already required medication for eating problems.

Beware on that front. You might be in for major dissapointment.

5x5 said:
If you're short on money, I would get a regular jack Dempsey and scrap the EBJD. They cost a fortune and they are prone to early death. I have two juvs and they already required medication for eating problems.

Beware on that front. You might be in for major dissapointment.

They only cost $20.

Idk if an ebjd would be a good choice, they are bot as aggressive as there jd cousins, and will prob get beat up on pretty bad. They are also very sensitive to changes in the water. With the oscar, and all the other big fish. The water will et dirty, and require lots of wc's.

gman42 said:
Idk if an ebjd would be a good choice, they are bot as aggressive as there jd cousins, and will prob get beat up on pretty bad. They are also very sensitive to changes in the water. With the oscar, and all the other big fish. The water will et dirty, and require lots of wc's.

I already do a lot of water changes.

I've heard the texas cichlids get pretty nasty when they mature, plus they get big too, 12+ inches

vanimal said:
They only cost $20.

And for another 20 you can have the best member of the tank. A water changer that hooks up to the sink.

For that size tank I think that stock list will work.

I agree, EBJD might not fare well in that setup. Definitely get a water changer, it's way easier to do pwcs. Doing a single 50% pwc is also more productive than 5 10% ones, for example.

Big cichlids can be tricky to stock because they can be serious bruisers.

Back
Top Bottom