cucumber for my cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccross

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it safe to give cichlids (and a pleco) cucumber? If so, how should it be prepared? Trying to give them a bit more variety instead of just pellets.

Yes...They will love it...Just slice it a little thin and if you have a lettuce clip stick it to the wall somewhere. OR you can weight it down with a spoon or something but it will always float up. You can drop them in boiling water for just a second and the sink better. I just use the clip and feed them to them raw. ...Make ready for epic pleco poop!!!!

Yes...They will love it...Just slice it a little thin and if you have a lettuce clip stick it to the wall somewhere. OR you can weight it down with a spoon or something but it will always float up. You can drop them in boiling water for just a second and the sink better. I just use the clip and feed them to them raw. ...Make ready for epic pleco poop!!!!

Thanks. I'll have to rig up a clip of some kind. My pleco is only 2 inches, I hope its not that epic, lol.

You may want to do it after the room has been dark about 30 minutes. If I don't my mbuna are the only thing that eat. My plecos are too shy to eat with the others.

You may want to do it after the room has been dark about 30 minutes. If I don't my mbuna are the only thing that eat. My plecos are too shy to eat with the others.

Alright :)
How long can the cucumber stay in the tank before it has to be removed? And would it be ok to just stick a fork in the slice to weight it down?

I just reread your post. Ive never given mine cucumber. I give mine zuchini, spinach, peas, brocoli, nls, and (brine shrimp once a week)

They love it! I also blanched mine before I gave it to them. Took like 3 slices, put into a coffee cup in the microwave for about 1-1 1/2 . Just to make sure any dirt or pesticides are boiled and washed out.

I added a slice to my cichlids tank, my tropical tank, and to my daughters goldfish tank. The cichlids are just kinda looking at it and then looking at me like they wonder if its ok to eat it, lol. The goldfish have been tearing into it since and the tropicals seem to be enjoying it too.

Mine always waited till the lights were off at night. I would come back In the morning to just the green skin left.

Back
Top Bottom