CYCLE Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at the end of my cycle and did a PWC of about 30% last night. What I didn't realize is that the new water was at 74 degrees F and the tank was at 80 degrees before the PWC.

I checked this morning and the Nitrites were up to 1 ppm from Zero.

This evening, it's still at 1ppm. Any tips on how to get it back down to Zero, quickly?

Today was supposed to be the day I added fish.

Which brings me to question #2 - Is there any drawback to adding 4 now and 8 in a week as opposed to adding 12 now? I may be able to add 8, but it depends on their stock. I ordered 3 species, but their distributor only sent 1 of teh 3 species. If they have 4 of another species on my list, then I can add 8.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the cycle still has a little way to run. Just keep going with the ammonia. If some how the nitrite producing bacteria were killed, you will need to build them up again. Since you have gone fishless so far you might as well make sure the cycle is complete.

The new water for the PWC lowered the tank temp by 6 degrees. Is it possible that the temperature changed killed the bacteria?

I was at the end of my cycle and did a PWC of about 30% last night. What I didn't realize is that the new water was at 74 degrees F and the tank was at 80 degrees before the PWC.

I checked this morning and the Nitrites were up to 1 ppm from Zero.

This evening, it's still at 1ppm. Any tips on how to get it back down to Zero, quickly?

Today was supposed to be the day I added fish.

Which brings me to question #2 - Is there any drawback to adding 4 now and 8 in a week as opposed to adding 12 now? I may be able to add 8, but it depends on their stock. I ordered 3 species, but their distributor only sent 1 of teh 3 species. If they have 4 of another species on my list, then I can add 8.

Thanks in advance!

I also doubt that that small change in water temperature killed off your bacteria, probably just stirred up your substrate releasing trapped nutrients. As for adding 4 species now and 8 later, it depends on the species you are adding, as some are much more aggressive than others. I would recommend you research (perhaps you already have) each and make sure you are not introducing the more aggressive species now and the less aggressive species later. Otherwise, you'll loose your new introductions. What species are you considering?

Back
Top Bottom