Dark discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessiicaxrosex3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I understand that discus get dark when they are unhappy/sick or water perameters are not what they should be, but i have had a discus in a constant state of darkness for a month or two. Nothing seems to be visibly wrong, no other discus is dark or acting weird, the discus is eating and has flashes of its color. Any clue of what is wrong/ has anyone experienced this? I change out at least 75%of the water every other day, if not every day. They are juveniles. (so i have a hard time believing its my water, since its always clean and constantly the same perameters)
bgquk9.jpg
(taken during feeding time)

The water is very hard, but that wasn't an issue for the first few weeks i had him while he was still bright blue. I get all my discus from the same place and they are all bright and happy which throws me off.

Their water is deff softer since they use a ro mixture, but i recently met with a breeder in my area that claimed that a hard water/soft water transition isn't a big deal. His discus are all doing well in my water perameters. Is the blue diamond discus just more sensitive/not adjusting?

To start with, what size tank is this, how many are in the tank, and were all introduced together or separately ?

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Its a 55 with 8 little guys. Rehoming at least 3 long term. The blue diamond was added i want to say 4th. So yes new discus have been added since. But everybody else is doing great

I dont, which is a personal choice. Discus dont enjoy being alone and I'm not sure of a way to qt it without it becoming stressed. Buying in groups isn't always how it works for me. When i add new fish i just keep my temperature high.

if he's the only one you are seeing this with and have been doing it the same for all he may just be a skittish fish or more so than the others.

I just dont know what to do about it. I want my fish to grow and be colorful and happy. even with all the decorations in the world and spots to hide he was still dark

I know you cant compare keyholes to discus but when I had them and went to feed 2 would come to the top eager to eat and one would turn black and run into stuff in the tank until he saw the food then would turn back to normal color and eat with the rest. Same for water changes he would hide the whole time.

I can see the comparison. Mine eats with everyone, but is only bright2% of the time i ever see him. I feel bad about not really wanting him anymore? But its not my vision for the fish tank, especially when i can only keep 5 or 6 long term. I know my lfs will take him in, but i feel horrible about it and just wish he would stop being shy.

I completely under stand what you are feeling. I didn't want to rehome the keyholes but was unhappy with them. I hope they went to a good home because even though they weren't what I expected I was still attached to them.

Its tough too when you can see their potential but it just isn't going to happen. Ever since i got a red turquoise from this local breeder, i see a completely different vision for my tank.
2cz4xa9.jpg

Or this stunted discus that was one of my first, not knowing he was stunted. :( i am so attached but know long term it probably wont work out.
sm6oas.jpg

Discus misfit tank...heheh.. that's a new one.. be all like...yah that's just my misfit tank.. you should see the A team;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

this is abit late to add
but water hardness doesn't matter at all with discus unless you're breeding
only temp and water quality/quality food matters for growing discus out

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom