*decorating* an oscar tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

earhtmother

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 65g with an oscar and pleco who tolerate each other. Anyone had any luck keeping any kind of decor with their oscar that it doesn't rearrange??
The only thing I have managed to keep reasonably unchanged is a rock *cave/shelf* built of lava rock chunks with granite slabs on top to provide the pleco with a place to retreat qhich are still occasionally rearranged and some plastic plants which are constantly rearranged. Any suggestions are welcome - pics would be awesome

I don't think you can keep the Oscar from rearranging the tank haha, they love moving things. Unless you like permanently siliconed them in place don't think theres much you can do

My Oscar redecorated all the time. I would take the large rocks out. They might get knocked into the glass pretty hard.

Had a huge Oscar for a few years. We gave up on decorations lol. She grew up with a pleco but ended up killing him in the end. Later she jumped out of the tank overnight and swam to the rainbow bridge. Keep tank covered!

As luck would have it, I just recently hardscaped my 65 gal. Tank with four left over junk rocks
I had stored. The big rock on the left weighs 40 lbs. The rock on the far right weighs 25 lbs. The hockey mask rock weighs 15 lbs and the remaining little rock weighs 10 lbs.
I bought the gravel at Lowe's for five bucks. The Holey Rock cost 20 cents a pound at my local rock yard. I believe it would stand up to most Oscars.

Attachments

• 20180131_191220.jpg
    20180131_191220.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 1,484
Yeah I would say rocks like that are the only way to prevent an Oscar from messing it up, pretty heavy for him to try to move haha

All it takes is a treasure hunt at the local rock yard / landscape company. So many different types of rocks to choose from. Much cheaper than the LFS.

Lucky people - rock yard options here are limestone, granite, more granite
As for taking out the slabs TMaier I would if I would if I could figure out a better way to provide shelter for the pleco

Think I am going to have to rehome the pleco soon as tempers seem to be getting shorter?

Think I am going to have to rehome the pleco soon as tempers seem to be getting shorter?
ASAP! We (it was my son's Oscar) did not see signs of aggression toward Bruce (pleco) lol he was quite loved by many. Then overnight she murdered him. She had another tank mate that she grew up with and never saw problems. She was a night killer. lol

Might be a good idea to keep the Oscar solo as a wet pet. However if you want tankmates that are tough enough and stay small enough for your tank size, research the Salvini Cichlid. They pack a lot of punch for a 6" cichlid. A pair would also add a lot of color to the tank.

ASAP! We (it was my son's Oscar) did not see signs of aggression toward Bruce (pleco) lol he was quite loved by many. Then overnight she murdered him. She had another tank mate that she grew up with and never saw problems. She was a night killer. lol

Highly doubt it had anything to do with aggression, mostly that if the oscar is hungry, itll just swallow whole anything that fits.

Back
Top Bottom