Dedicated discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustinKScott

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all;

I've decided to move my discus from the community tank to a tank exclusively for him. My question is what temp does he want.

He is not a wild discus, and the LFS says he isn't a normal discus, which I assume means they buy from the cheapest discus factory on earth. They say 80-82F is too hot for him, and he should stay @78-80F.

In the community tank he was at a consistent 78.8F. He lived in there for 2 months, and ate every day. He would brighten up often, but would always go dark several times throughout the day. I assume that's primarily from being in such a busy tank.

My LFS is really a joke; but they are the only thing I have. What do you think? How hot does he want it?

Wait what? 80-82 too hot? Most dedicated discus tanks run at 80-84. They like warmer water than normal fish, not cooler. Yes, discus will go dark under stress. You want very subdued lighting in a discus tank. Is your discus an adult? They also need rather large tanks, at least 50 gallons.

How big is he now? If he's juvenile, you have a lot of work cut out for yourself.

Back
Top Bottom