Densely packed cichlid tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickhendrix007

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm always seeing tanks (30,40,55, and up) that seem to have large amount of cichlids in them, both African and new world. I know the 1 inch 1 gallon thing isn't exact for various reasons, but seriously a lot of these tanks I see of "experienced" aquarium owners seen overstocked (ex 12-15 cichlids in a 55 gal). I know big filters can take care of the bioload, but what's the deal? I have a 20 gallon long and some would argue I could fit 8-10 yellow labs in there with a 40 gal filter as aggression would be spread Out Through the group. likewise inknow in the wild that africans are densely packed. Opinions?

So I'm always seeing tanks (30,40,55, and up) that seem to have large amount of cichlids in them, both African and new world. I know the 1 inch 1 gallon thing isn't exact for various reasons, but seriously a lot of these tanks I see of "experienced" aquarium owners seen overstocked (ex 12-15 cichlids in a 55 gal). I know big filters can take care of the bioload, but what's the deal? I have a 20 gallon long and some would argue I could fit 8-10 yellow labs in there with a 40 gal filter as aggression would be spread Out Through the group. likewise inknow in the wild that africans are densely packed. Opinions?

You pretty much summed everything up hah. Overstocking is a great way to curve aggression, almost necessary. Just make sure you have the right ratio of male to female, atleast 1:3, always over filter, try to turn your tank over ten times an hour. For example I have the fluval 406 which is about 380 gph "rated" I believe, and the emperor 400 which is "rated" at 400 gph, so that's almost 800 gph, in my 70 gallon. And I still want to get another 406. 8-10 yellow labs in a 20 sounds like a lot to me, but I'm not sure, I don't have much experience in keeping cichlids. Could very well be an accurate number though.

But what these so called "experienced experts" don't show you is what happens later when the fish mature and start killing each other off or the water quality deteriorates causing diseases such as Head And Lateral Line Errosion(HLLE), they usually leave those parts out in the follow up videos.

Opinions on: 29 gal with 2 male saulosi and 6 female? Apparently that is "normal" on multiple forums I've read over the last few weeks. Of course filtration and territory lines would be bumped up. I've been doing hours of research on a cichlid tank... Hell I did a straight week before I ever got my dwarf gouramis way back when lol

The only mbuna I'd even attempt in a 29g would be dwarfs like saulosi or cynotilapia afra cobue, you may only end up with one male and 6 females since that tank doesn't allow for a lot of individual territory for the males.

Back
Top Bottom