Dietary needs of Tropheus vs. Jewels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pton46

Aquarium Advice Freak
Tropheus are obligate herbivores. Too much protein in their diets, and they will bloat and die. They really would not be a good match for the carnivorous jewel cichlids. At any rate they are only aggressive toward conspecifics and really need to be kept in large groups. A 55 gallon is not enough space for just a group of tropheus, even.

So a Jewels needs higher Protein count? I did not know that. I thought they has the same 38% pellet as most cichlids or is Tropheus need less than that?

i'm Just curious, I don't have either but good to know info if I every get that 125 gallon (Wishing)

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, regular pellet foods shouldn't even be fed to Tropheus much at all. They contain too much protein. Tropheus are one of the more tricky Tanganyikan fish iirc because of the way you have to stock them in larger numbers, and because of their dietary needs. 125 gallons would be nice for a big group of them. I've seen a few talks on them from some big names in the African cichlid community and the general consensus among those folks seems to be either stock them in a group of 20 or more, or don't bother keeping them at all, as they will all end up dead anyway.

Wow Really? I hate to say this...lol... But at the LFS they did not even mention that when I asked? I ask a lot of questions and decided on Labs anyway months ago. I was Replacing my Jeweled Cichlid I rehomed.

I mix omega one Cichlid Pellets and Fresh veggies into their diets my Mbunas. Ok cool good to know. Especially considering I found out I might have chance a getting a 75 gallon soon to upgrade my 30 gallon. I was looking at possible adding some Tropheus I think I'll just stick with Mbuna's then. Thanks!

It's true the genus is prone to Bloat but keep in mind that the majority of cases are caused by stress and improper water conditions. I've feed Tropheus for years on a strict diet of New Life Spectrum Thera pellets, as do countless of other hobbyist. The most important thing to consider is there aggression which is a major cause of stress leading to illness, keep these fish alone or a large species only colony of 15+ fish.

Back
Top Bottom