difference in jewel cichlids???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMason

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought two jewel cichlids from petsmart about 2 or 3 weeks ago and one of them has all white/silver fins and one has bright yellow fins and is much more colorful. why is this? are they male and female or dif subspecies maybe? any advice is appreciated :)

What are there markings? They are very hard to sex... Anyways here are my jewels they are H. Guttatus

Attachments

• image-3226507332.jpg
    image-3226507332.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2915035149.jpg
    image-2915035149.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 85
  • image-430246906.jpg
    image-430246906.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 71
they are so young its hard to tell but from the research ive done i quess mine are fake? they have another dot about half way down there nody where yours do not :(

AquaMason said:
they are so young its hard to tell but from the research ive done i quess mine are fake? they have another dot about half way down there nody where yours do not :(

How can you have a 'fake' fish? lol

There are several strains of jewels. No worries, you have a real jewel just maybe not the same strain. lol

well i read all the profiles and i still cant tell just because im not an expert and they are fairly young. when they get older is it easier to tell the difference

one more question i have the 2 jewels in with my jd who is about 5 in and the jewels are 2 and 2.5 in long in a 125g it has plenty of hiding places and they all seem to get along. do you think ill be able to keep them together?

Back
Top Bottom