Discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markusroberts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have started planning on a second aquarium and the wife said about discus after seeing them on tanked, I've done some research on them and they say their quite hard, I'm planning on putting them in a fluval roma 200 with two u4 filters as I don't like external, I'm looking on some good advice as I've just had my other tank just over 6 months and that one is doing great

AquaTanked

Discus are not for beginners that being said if your wife wants them than n don't know if you really have a choice lol anyway they like temp 82 to 86 your filters are fine as they are not dirty fish and they like they prefer ph between 5 and 6.5 so your might need and RO filter for your tap water sit your water to lower the ph depending where you live

Discus are definitely not a beginner fish. I had them before and they were quite a handful. Parameters have to be perfect all the time. Since moving a while ago, I set up my 40g early summer. Put a couple Molly in it and it's plenty cycled. As of three weeks ago I've gotten a couple here and there and the little ones just aren't making it. I did just swap out from my Fluval 406 to the 205. It was just too much circulation and they were hiding all the time. Next week I'll grab a couple more 3" since those are doing better than the 1-1/2's.

Hi
I have a 56 g tank. I have 6 Discuss I am experiencing high ammonia levels. I have been changing water 25 %every 3 days. Also did a 40% change last week. Water temp is 86. Have a fluval 306. Tried colony. Amazon and other treatments. Water is cloudy. anyone got any suggestions

Discus are messy eaters. I have to clean up 5-10 mins after feeding. Are they eating well? If not. Major water change asap. If your filter is new, I suggest dosing bottled bacteria in your new filter to jump start the ammonia cycle.

If Discus eating well swimming well, take another reading again at different times of the day. You may have just tested at the wrong time.

Water cloudy-I read that water conditioner have that effect when food is dropped in. Not sure of the solution to this problem. Maybe add active carbon filter as part of filtration.

Do your research, it's all about good quality food and good clean stable water. If your tap is at 7 it will be fine.

Oh my water is very hard where I live so I use reverse osmosis and I feed them be part Dryd frozen blood worms and discus pellets beef heart haven't lost a fish and two years and now they are breeding

Back
Top Bottom